This a work in progress. I am experimenting with different settings and text to get the best lettering. This is the first design I have made for a business card. Overall I think the design itself looks great (aside from letters and numbers).
Comments and input are appreciated! If you have experience making small text look good please let me know!
UPDATE 3/19/15: I made a silver version with an extrude subtract by .6mm. The total thickness is 1mm. You can see that the Redbird logo is subtracted all the way through. I also increased the text size quite a bit.
UPDATE 3/25/15: I was able to get red text on top with a nice transition. I added a square off the the side so I could change the filament while it was filling the box. The last picture shows the current version. The top has the transparent red while the bottom has the opaque red. (the top is version 4 and bottom is version 5)
UPDATE 4/21/2015: After using different flow rates and retraction rates I found the perfect combination. The last three photos are the finalized business card design I made. Overall thickness of card is 0.5mm. (0.2mm for first layer and 0.15 mm for the second 2 layers.) Overall layer height with text is 0.8mm. Flow rate for the printer I'm using is set to 670 with a retraction rate of 1.5mm. (other printers will vary)
UPDATE 4/23/2015: Cover photo is now the final design. The second photo (all black) is the first design.
UPDATE 7/5/2015: Newest cover photo is now the NEW final design (I think). Now the second photo is the old final design. I used a 0.2 mm nozzle to get smaller text. The new Slic3r also gave it a new fill pattern.
UPDATE 8/1/2015: I have redesigned the card to have a different look with the logo. You can see it in the second photo shown. (still a little rough getting that fill just right)
UPDATE 9/16/2015: I have added a QR code which links to my 3D Hubs webpage. First picture is the new card.
The card is 1 mm thick (two layers at .3mm and first layer at .4mm). I may do an extrude-subtract procedure to see how different the text will look. The card is somewhat flexible but will definitely snap if you try to break it. I may try using semi-flex PLA if we get some in. Also this part was made using NX 9.0. I used slic3r to slice the file and the fill pattern is the octagramspiral.