I loved the original design (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:381027), especially how easy it is to get the print heads lined up for z=0. However, it didn't have any way to bolt on accesseries that I plan on using - a server powered Z mount and dual cooling fans.
The model needed a bit of geometry fixing too. I doubt it's anything that would break the print, but I like clean manifold geometry.
- If you prefer the servo on the right instead of the left, scale that part by -1 in the appropriate axis.
- requires a vertical x axis (like the Prusa i3) with a carrier that has 30mm spacing between mounting holes. I am planning on using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586636
- print heads should be spaced about 30mm on center, calibrate carefully however, as there is some tolerance room built in, and the alignment will not guarantee that.
I have just uploaded "v5. I left the v4 sketchup file, but removed the STL's as I think the v5 is way better.:
- Changed the fan holder for 40mm fans,
- added in fan shrouds for cooling just the hot ends.
- Added in an eye-balled guess at a servo horn attachment. (the length may not be correct. I use a basic tact button, and glue it onto the end with epoxy.
- Added in channels in the hot end holders that should allow captured m3 nuts and bolts to be used to hold the bowden tube holder in place
- Improved the micro servo holder: It now goes all the way around the servo and has some support material so that it is easier to print.
- Moved the servo further away from the hot ends to help reduce servo dancing due to electrical noise from cartridge heaters
- Added support material for the hot end holder
- Checked the sizes on the hot end holder and made the tollerances to the j-head/groove mount standard tighter. My first print left them too loose.
- Cleaned up the geometry some more.
- Organized all the parts in the sketchup file so they were all lined up on the same z-level and organized the parts for printing in a single STL
Just added the -V2 series.
- The servo holder is closer and stronger
- made the fan holder stronger
- increased the size of mounting holes for the servo, fan holder, fan shrouds, and M4 bowden holders
- Increased the size of the nut slots on the upper grove mount (to make it easier to fit M3 nuts inside to anchor the bowden. Made this part taller, and moved the nut slot up to make more room for the bottom of the M3 nut.
-Fixed some geometry issues.
My first print was pretty bad due to clogged extruder and some difficulty getting another bowden carier and a new set of cold ends working. All the same, the fit and size appears to be good.
Details and photos will follow when it is working.