Check out this awesome video for help: http://youtu.be/B2NtvZyca5A
Install the cable chain without replacing the carriage. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1066680
This is my solution to attaching a cable chain to the ROBO 3D R1.
Warning! Some ingenuity and basic electronic skills required.
You will run into obstacles when installing this new carriage.
Removing the bearings from the old carriage into the new one can be tricky. I taped them out with a hammer and screwdriver (The handle needs to be able to fit through the hole in the carriage not the bearing.
If the bearings do not fit snug do not worry. Just add some tape around the bearing until it fits tight.
I hope you find this useful and as much fun as I did!!!
You will need a total of 38 chain links.
The process my vary depending on the version of the ROBO 3D R1 you have so I am going to outline the things I had to do.
1. Disassemble the carriage
2. Apply two layers of tape around bearing to get it to fit snug in new carriage.
3. Un-solder the x axis sensor in order to run the cable through the chain.
4. Drill a hole in the carriage for the x axis sensor. (In the V2 version this is already done)
5. Feed the cables through in sections of four links at a time one cable at a time.
6. Drill four holes in the shell of the ROBO 3D for the bolts that hold on the link connector.
Make sure you test everything as you go!!
Have Fun!! :)