http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:772936 is a better version of this trumpet if you're interested in building one.
This is a 17 piece printable trumpet. It was modeled somewhat after a Bach Stradivarius. I have printed one myself and the sound quality and playability is honestly pretty bad. The reason I am posting my files is so people can try their hand at improving the design and to print it for themselves.
You can see more pictures of mine here: http://imgur.com/a/k68R2
It takes a while to make this. Almost all the parts require post printing work and some require a lot of it. Probably 5ish days of just printing time.
Here is a video of me attempting to play it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1j_d2mSGng.
As I said, it doesn't play well at all.
If you have any design questions or need help please message me.
Edit (4/15/15) I uploaded the new version as a remix here. It's the same thing that was in the dropbox that I sent to some people earlier.
Edit (3/8/15) I have redesigned everything and started printing a new trumpet. The new version will be much more printer friendly (all the pieces will be under 5.5 inches) and I am fairly confident It will have a significantly better sound.
New parts added 2/8/15 Check instructions for details.
Don't make this one go here instead.
There are 17 pieces in this build. The file
"TMPT_2ndValveTube" gets used twice.
Here is a diagram of the assembly: http://i.imgur.com/u9OzPGd.png.
Important Info! jk ignore all of this
EDIT- 2/8/15 For those of you who have printers with small build volumes I've split four of the longer pieces into two and I've uploaded the eight new pieces with each named "filename"_CUT. I believe now if your printer has 5 inches available in each axis all the parts should be printable. I did NOT do anything to make these new pieces fit together. I only cut them in half. I assume they can be glued together but I cant promise anything. Ignore these files if you have 22 cm or so available in your z axis.
I printed mine in ABS. I'm not sure this would work well at all with PLA. It requires lots of sanding and post printing work. I broke many of my pieces multiple times and was able to fuse them back together with acetone. I also fused the six pieces that attach to the valve chamber with acetone. If you don't have acetone, nail polish remover will work just as well.
Files "TMPT_Bell" and "TMPT_BellTube" are about 23 cm tall. This might be too tall for some printers so be aware of what your build volume is. If you don't have 23 cm on the z axis, I suggest cutting the piece in half and printing it in two parts. Or you could take 1 cm off the top of the joint.
The pieces are designed to fit together tightly. They might not fit together straight off the printer and you may need to do some sanding/honing. This is especially true for the valves and valve chamber. I spent a couple hours working on each valve slot.
The following parts need some kind of support or flat surface to be printed "TMPT_ValveChamber", "TMPT_1stValveTube", "TMPT_2ndValveTube", "TMPT_BellCurve", and "TMPT_LeadCurve". I used MeshMixer to generate support towers, I strongly recommend that you don't ever generate support inside a tube. If you would like my supported .stl files of these parts let me know.
To print all of these parts you need days of printing time. I printed half the parts at 0.1 layer height and the other half at 0.2. The file "TMPT_ValveChamber" took 17 hours at 0.1.
The file "TMPT_ValveCap" was designed poorly and the two hooks on the side that were supposed to snap into the valve chamber are useless. I suggested cutting them off in a design program or just breaking them off after it prints. Because of this you will have to use rubber bands to hold the valves down.
Several of the pieces have pins that correspond to holes on the valve chamber these can be fragile and may need to be carefully sanded. They can be shortened in a design program for easier use. The file "TMPT_1stValveTube" has a pin that is too long for the hole on the valve chamber. You can either cut it in a program or file it down after it prints.
You will need to buy 3 springs to push up the valves. The design of the valve chamber somewhat restricts the number of springs that will work. You will need to find springs that can be compressed under 4 mm, extend further than 16 mm, and have a diameter that can fit in the bottom of the valve chamber. Something I suggest is extending the bottom part of the valve chamber 1 or 2 mm.
- VERY IMPORTANT - Don't expect to be able to learn to play with this. It doesn't work well at all. That's why I need your help to improve it. I'm including the .sldprt and .step files so that people can work on it.