Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

4MULE8

Comura Articulatum

by 4MULE8 Mar 11, 2013
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I just finished making this and I figured I would try printing the entire thing from the assembled .STL.
Worked perfectly!
Printed on a Maker Select Plus a.k.a. the Wanhao i3 Plus.
I used Solutech Real Blue PLA with a raft and heated bed of 50 degrees. Really love this part and would definitely recommend that you try making it! I'll post pictures soon. Good Luck Everyone!
Settings:
Layer Height: .1mm
Thickness of Wall and Bottom/Top: 1mm
Infill: 20%
Speed: 45 mm/sec

Did your assembled print articulate? I just printed at 80% just to test and they snapped at the joint instead of articulating.

The tolerances are very tight (less than 1mm), so you might have better luck at 100%. I actually never intended the assembled model to be printed directly, but it seems to work surprisingly well for a lot of people.

This model is really awesome. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the pieces to snap together, even the hot water didn't help. However I found that if you heat up the cylinder pieces just a little bit with a heat gun for about 3 seconds they will fall right into the retraining cavity and cool trapped inside! Just be careful not to overheat the part.

I'm running this now to understand just how it's constructed; I made one on Autodesk 123D Creature and want to reduce the print time and supports (yuck). All these comments are a great help for our classroom at Trinity High School, Manchester NH. Will let you know how it all turns out :)

I made the mistake of printing the pieces separately. It turned out looking incredible, but now I am having difficulty getting them together. Any tips? I know i have to heat it, but I am not sure what method would be best.

There's a pretty detailed description in the instructions tab. Did you print with ABS or PLA? I have no trouble with PLA at 60-70C, but I've not tried ABS. I designed it to be printed separately, and was surprised when people had success printing it pre-assembled.

I used PLA. I di managed to get it together by briefly soaking the hinges in boiling water and reshaping them using some pliers. I'll post pictures of my make when I get the chance. Awesome build!

Thanks! I normally sit the pieces on my heated bed with the arch shape of the socket facing down (and the hinge pointing up in the air). That way the hinge pins stay properly rounded and move really well.

Printing went great, and came out great, sadly, I wasn't able to get the parts together as they were too stiff... Sad day.

Printed with silver ABS on a Rep. 2X.

Oh no! What did you use to heat the pieces when you tried to assemble it?

I tried heating them with a heat gun, but it just didn't work. This print might be better suited to PLA.

Great file! I printed this on my Rep2 with orange PLA. A hairdryer helped with the assembly. Love the articulation! Pics on my G+ page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116780922551677170912/albums/5864142053013038705https://plus.google.com/u/0/ph...

Nice work, and thanks for posting the photos! My reprap had a bit of trouble with the spines too. I think I'll be able to make some tweaks to the skeinforge profile to improve the way they turn out though. Hopefully. :D

You know what would be cool is you could arrange the pieces so that the odd pieces print on one plate and the even on the other. It would make it much easier to print a two color version.

That being said I just finished a black one and a blue one that I plan to mix together.

Actually that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of split colours when I made them. I'll upload two new plates when I return from holiday next week. I'll leave the originals up too, because just printing plate 1 can be used to make a tiny baby.

Also, nice prints!

Tiny baby! I didn't even realize that. That's hilarious.

A beautiful, organic model - much more realistic than mine. It deserves to be called Comura Articulatum Splendens (if my dog Latin is right ;-)

Haha, thanks! :D It's probably a lot less kid-proof than yours, with the fragile/sharp little spines. And with half the number of segments he's actually less flexible too!

I built the model out of polygon meshes with a subdivision algorithm running on it. It's much easier to achieve an organic looking model than trying to do the same thing in a CAD package.

I've been hoping someone would jazz the trilobite up. Nice!

Why thank you, sir! I'd love to see photos if you try printing it.

Thanks! I hope it turns out well if you try printing it.