The impetus for this project came when I realized that my tissue dispenser looked a lot like a bobomb from Mario.
All it needed were eyes and feet.
This project comes in two flavors: ready-to-print and customizable.
For those that want to jump right into the printing, you'll first want to pick up a tissue dispenser available here.
The following files are ready to print and are designed specifically to fit this tissue dispenser model.
I used a Makerbot Replicator to print all the parts, configured with the default 'Standard' print settings.
230°C extruder | 110°C build plate
90mm/s extruder | 150mm/s travel
rake + supports
I printed the eyes oriented with their backs to the build plate. This way, the unevenness from the supports is hidden.
I ran into trouble when trying to print both feet at the same time; the rake would often lift up and the parts would collide on the build platform. Printing them individually, however, everything went smoothly (hence the separate files).
After printing, use a pair of pliers to tear away the support material and an exacto-knife to smooth out the edges. I found the eyes were a little translucent, letting the adhesive show through; so, I opted to coat the backs of the eyes in white house paint. Use either glue or tacky gum (the kind you hang posters with) to attach the eyes to the tissue box. I left the feet freely attached since the ridge on the bottom of the box kept them fixed but allowed them to freely rotate.
Custom Body Objects
Don't feel like buying a tissue box? Got a different object you'd like to bobomb-ify? No problem! With a little more work, you can craft eyes and feet to fit other objects perfectly.
For this project, I used Blender to model the tissue box and fit the eyes and feet to its profile. The original source file (bobomb_parameterized.blend) is attached.
In the attached file, everything is modeled in millimeters. The eyes and feet are parametrized such that you can substitute a different model for the body and they will fit to the new object. After adding a model of the new object you want to use as the body, you'll need to change the "target" of the following modifiers:
You can then reposition and resize the eyes and feet to match the scale and proportions of the new body object.
*Pro Tip* : Disable the boolean modifier temporarily while adjusting the size and position of the feet. It's an expensive operation and will bog down most machines.
For reference, I've also attached an example file (bobomb_mug.blend) that uses a standard coffee mug as the base object.