So the other version I made was a flop, because the girls immediately decided its best use would be to empty it entirely and hide inside it. I'm glad they enjoyed it but I needed an efficient way to feed them, they had plenty of hidey holes already.
Enter this version. So far, so good. They still dig some of the food out to get at the peanuts (I add peanuts to their blocks because the blocks really don't have enough fat in them) but most of it seems to be intact and they aren't nibbling the plastic yet. If they do decide to gnaw the "basket" at the bottom open, I'll cave in and attach wire, but for now I'll see if this works for them because I'd rather they mash their faces against soft plastic than hard and potentially poky wire mesh.
This thing was made with Tinkercad. Edit it online https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0q92xd9m8mv