Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

peter47_a

MicroCube X (MicroCube / HyperCube Evolution Crossover)

by peter47_a Aug 16, 2019
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Do you happen to have the stl file for the other half of the y-axis bracket (secures the y-axis motor mount to the 8mm rod)? If not, I can draw one up.

I'm not sure which part you describe. Do you mean motor_mount_left.stl and motor_mount_right.stl in the file section? I'm constructing one side in scad and then mirror this stl for the other motor / side.

The diamondesque shaped piece with four holes that mounts on makes up the second half of the Y_carriage part. You can see it near-center on your second photo. I grabbed a capture of it with snip-it (I'm old school) and highlighted it in yellow. Maybe I just missed it in the file list. I can print out the other half and draw up its made in SolidWorks, it's not a big deal and then I'll have it.

Thank you for pointing out the missing file. I forgot to upload this piece. It is called Y_Carriage_Clamp_LM8UU_1.0.stl and is now available in the files section!

What about the files for the corners on the bottom of the cube? I see the motor mount corners and the pulley corners. Did you just reuse the pulley corners on the bottom, too?

No, I forgot to upload the stl. Please use Corner_bottom.STL from files section, it is also included in the SCAD archive to generate the other corners. I used Corner_bottom.STL for all 4 corners, just rotate the piece as you need during the build.

Awesome. Thank you! Do you mind, BTW, if I start a Remix? I was waiting until I had all the parts together but I've made a few changes and additional parts and it would give me some place to put them. It'll be a work in progress one.

Please do, I just "remixed" two other projects myself and added a few parts of my own.

I'm going to take a shot at this, well, because you put a ton of work into it and it looks really cool. As I print this out and put the thing together, if I have an idea for a change or improvement, I'll shoot you a note. Thank you for taking all the time and energy to share this.

I made a small video of the machine printing, finetuning the settings is quite a challenge but slowly improving the outcome. Maybe your redesigned corner pieces will improve rigidness greatly... https://youtu.be/8Yh10767Pzo

That looks like it prints really well from this point-of-view. I ended up remixing all of the corners (motor mounts, idler pulleys and feet) to try and improve the clamping strength between them and the rods. I added some length, too, which seems to have improved rigidity of the cube quite a bit.

I changed the design of the y-axis bearing mounts to improve clamping force on the x-axis rods, too, with similar hopes regarding rigidity. These changes, unfortunately, have come at the cost of vastly increasing print times.

I am still putting things together (it's about 5 hours to print each piece) so I can't say if it'll help I'm waiting on another pack of thread inserts so that's slowed down progress. I'll start posting up remix files tonight so you can take a look and see what you think. It's still very much a work-in-progress so the design may get scrapped.

I'm having quite a lot of fun making this, I'll admit.

How's your build coming along? I tried adding two diagonal rods to support the frame (borrowed from the original MicroCube design) and it seems to help a lot! Still need tweaking of the slicer profiles and probably a higher quality hot end / nozzle to get better results.

I like the simple design, also had a lot of fun with the original MicroCube with the fishing lines as movement system!

Thank you for your kind words. I would love to see a better solution regarding the joints or stability in general. I mostly copied the MicroCube design which has a few flaws.

I printed out the extruder carrier parts last night. I made them from carbon fiber PLA and they are plenty stiff. I did make some design changes to the bracket which holds the belt in place as well as the belt tensioner that should help further improve rigidity there. I am waiting on a hot end to see how it all comes together. Once I see if that works, I'll share the changes with you and see what you think.

So far, so good. It's a very nice design.

Comments deleted.