A 7-sided organizer for E3D V6-compatible nozzles.
Two versions uploaded:
- 7-Nozzle-Holder - with markings identifying sizes noted below
- 7-Nozzle-Holder-Blank - with, uh, no markings :)
I was looking at the nozzles on MatterHackers (I have aspirations of owning all the sizes in brass and hardened steel). If you look at the hardened steel nozzles, they offer 7 varieties:
Since these are more than $20 each, I wanted a secure way to organize them. The holders I looked at here on Thingiverse either were too loose, risking the nozzle falling out, or required threading the nozzle into the plastic itself, which I don't want to do.
I decided to test and, sure enough, the nozzles fit an M6 nut!
So I modeled up a holder with trapped M6 nuts. To print you'll need seven of these.
I'm not happy with the difficulty printing on top of the nuts, but the end product works for me, even if it's not as clean as I would like. If anyone can suggest ways to improve this, let me know in the comments.
When printing, I used PrusaSlicer to set a color change just before it starts printing the top few layers (see screenshot). While not as clean as inserting my own GCode, it gets the job done. I just had to eject and reinsert the filament when I was done inserting the nuts.
There is 0.1mm tolerance around each nut (0.2 total side to side) - I found this made the nuts easy to insert while they still feel very secure and only rattle inside the print very slightly.
Top Layer Clean Up
Because it's trying to lay down layers directly on top of the trapped nuts, the top layers become a bit of a mess. Because there are 3-4 top layers (depending on Z resolution), it ends up doing some correction, but watch for blobs and impacts because there's an inherent adhesion issue.
I considered putting some spray adhesive on the nuts before inserting them, but decided against it. If you try it, let me know how it works in the comments!