First off: major props to Deafjamb for posting the armor pieces and getting them out here for people to use. Also, the helmet pieces are attributed to ducampv, who doesn't have the helmet posted on Thingiverse but kudos to them.
I took Deafjamb's armor pieces and sliced and cut them to be 3D printer-friendly. A quick disclaimer is that some of the pieces are quite large because I got access to an Ultimaker 2 Extended (only the shins, thighs). However, most pieces will fit in a typical 3D printer.
Sizing: These pieces are sized for my 5' 10", 170 lb. frame. I scaled Deafjamb's original stl files (for a 5' 7" person) up to 110%. Most pieces fit fine except for these below (I plan on resizing these properly at some point):
- "back" was too small, maybe scale up to 120% of original
- "shin_1" is too wide (I fixed this for shin_2)
Notes: A few parts will print quite thin and may "tear" along the layers. I will try to fix this at some point in the future. It may happen with the shins, thighs, and ankles.
Time considerations: In 3D print hours, getting everything printed probably took at least 200+ hours. That is only the printing hours! There is still time for gluing, waiting for the glue to dry, sanding, painting, and figuring out how I will attach all of this to my body. Working on this in my spare time, it has taken me 9 months(!). However, my goal was to finish by Halloween 2019 so I'm good to go at least on that metric.
Feel free to remix as you wish! Just please share any tips or helpful processes in the comments. Thanks and happy trooping!
8/8/19 - both ankle pieces are thickened and I put a thin slit in so you can slip it onto your ankle
8/14/19 - uploaded the correct ankle pieces, previously were missing the buckles
I used many different printers to print all of these pieces: Ultimaker 2 Extended, Makerbot Replicator 2, Dremel DigiLab 3D40, and even a FormLabs Form 2. All of them failed me at some point or another. Thankfully, I had access to multiple printers at a time so was able to have many prints going at once.
Painting, Sanding, etc.
Gluing: I used E6000 to glue the pieces together. I would use blue painters tape on the exterior of the pieces to hold them where I wanted and then applied the glue to the seam on the interior. Once it dried I usually removed the blue painters tape and just stuck them on the seam on the inside. Mainly that was just to give me the peace of mind that something else was holding the pieces together. (Although I don't trust reused blue painters tape to be that strong) :)
Detailing: I used Bondo to fill in gaps and smooth over seams between pieces. Then I sanded it down for a smooth finish.
Painting: I spray-painted the pieces with Rust-O-leum Glossy White Primer+Paint. The whole suit took about 4 cans with each piece getting at least 2 coats of paint. The black detail paint was a Glossy Black Acrylic paint.
Connections: After watching some Youtube videos on how to put on Stormtrooper armor I decided to use mainly elastic straps and velcro. Perhaps I will have time to make a more detailed account of this later.
Slicing and Cutting Models
I used Adobe Meshmixer to slice and cut the original models into smaller sizes. Again, almost all of the pieces should fit on a typical 3D printer platform. However, a few of the thigh and shin pieces can only fit in an Ultimaker 2 Extended or something larger than that.
Most slices were plane cuts but on Shin #2 I wanted a curved cut so I had to go through a process of Facegroups > Custom selecting areas > Separating Shells. I would like to do this for Shin #1 as well. Maybe I'll create a video on how to do this. Again, when I find time!!