I want to build myself a little weather station and soil moisture meter to monitor the garden. I couldn't think of a good way to get a good temperature reading while protecting the electronics so I thought I'd try and make something myself. I read up on Stevenson screens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen) and figured that would be a good starting point. I originally went way too big so the outer screen part was going to weigh over 1500g by itself, but after much trial and error I've got it down to a much more reasonable size - everything can be printed with about 600g of PETG.
As you can see in the pictures, the inner enclosure will hold a half-size breadboard or a Raspberry Pi B-form board which should be enough room to do at least some kind of project.
The top of the screen is 3mm thick, while the screen sides and louvers are 2mm thick; this should be enough to deal with any amount of rain and even some light to moderate hail. The sides of the screen are vented under the louvers to allow for airflow and let the rising warm air out. The inner enclosure part is separated from the screen top by an air gap that also has vents to let warm air out.
The base of the enclosure is sized to fit 1" tubing and has a small screw hole on the side for a set screw. It also has holes in the bottom for wires or sensors that are 8mm in diameter, and one large hole in the middle to run whatever you'd like through the tubing if you want to protect it. Just fill any holes you don't want to use with hot glue or cover them with tape (from the inside).
The enclosure base threads into the enclosure body, and the enclosure body threads into the outer screen.
Printing orientation for the enclosure base is thread side down.
Printing orientation for the enclosure body is outer thread (closed side) down.
Printing orientation for the outer screen is top (flat side) down.
3D Printing Canada PETG
Printing surface: Heated glass bed with Elmer's glue stick
- Layer Height: 0.25mm
- Initial Layer Height: 0.32mm
- Wall Thickness: 3mm
- Outer Wall Wipe Distance: 0.2mm
- Top/Bottom Thickness: 3mm
- Top Thickness: 3mm
- Bottom Thickness: 3mm
- Top/Bottom Pattern: Lines
- Bottom Pattern Initial Layer: Lines
- Filter Out Tiny Gaps: Yes
- Horizontal Expansion: 0mm
- Enable Ironing: No
- Infill Density: 35%
- Infill Pattern: Gyroid
- Infill Overlap Percentage: 50%
- Skin Overlap Percentage: 50%
- Printing Temperature: 246C
- Printing Temperature Initial Layer: 246C
- Build Plate Temperature: 85C
- Build Plate Temperature Initial Layer: 85C
- Flow: 95%
- Initial Layer Flow: 95%
- Enable Retraction: Yes
- Retract At Layer Change: Yes
- Retraction Distance: 5mm
- Retraction Minimum Travel: 5mm
- Minimum Extrusion Distance Window: 5mm
- Print Speed: 32mm/s
- Infill Speed: 35mm/s
- Wall Speed: 32mm/s
- Outer Wall Speed: 32mm/s
- Inner Wall Speed: 32mm/s
- Top/Bottom Speed: 32mm/s
- Support Speed: 32mm/s
- Support Infill Speed: 32mm/s
- Travel Speed: 50mm/s
- Initial Layer Speed: 32mm/s
- Initial Layer Print Speed: 32mm/s
- Initial Layer Travel Speed: 50mm/s
- Skirt/Brim Speed: 32mm/s
- Combing Mode: All
- Max Comb Distance With No Retract: 5mm
- Retract Before Outer Wall: No
- Z Hop When Retracted: No
- Enable Print Cooling: Yes
- Fan Speed: 50%
- Initial Fan Speed: 0%
- Regular Fan Speed At Layer: 2
- Generate Support: NO for Enclosure bottom, NO for enclosure body, YES for outer screen
- Support Placement: Everywhere
- Support Overhang Angle: 80%
- Support Pattern: Grid
- Support Density: 15%
- Build Plate Adhesion Type: Skirt
- Skirt Line Count: 6
- Skirt Distance: 3mm