I travel a lot for work and recently got myself a phone with wireless charging. At home I have a unit that is mounted into my desk but while away I have to resort to physical connections. I saw on eBay lots of QI charger modules and brought one that was reasonably cheap.
Obviously I had to make a case for it and this is the result. It has been designed with no need for fixings, the internals are held in place by the plastic stand-offs being melted over and the two halves are glued.
I've included an image of the charger PCB/circuit I used.
So I dropped my puck! As a result of the unexpected impact testing I discovered an area for improvement.
The coil was held in place by a small central support, which broke on impact with my kitchen floor, leaving the coil rattling around and miss aligned. I have increased the size of the central hub and have also added a ring around the outside of the coils core. This will prevent movement but also give another part to secure the coil with, melting the ring to hold it in place.
One other fortunate side effect is that now I can take photo's of the construction process and pop them up here as well. I'll update when the new design is printed.
Update 2 07/07/2019
New files have been uploaded. The upper half of the puck has had the central support removed. I made it too large on the second go and it broke the plate the coil is on. I cut if off and discovered it isn't really needed.
Photo's have been added as well to show how the unit comes together. Hopefully explaining a little more as to the process.
Update 3 14/07/2019
I have redesigned the previous version with a lower resolution than the first. No drop in print quality, but the circles making up the outer edges are now "only" 192 segments as opposed to my typo to 960 (should have originally been 96 segments!) This means the files are smaller but segment length is ~1mm.
I have also added 6mm cutouts on the bass for some sticky feet and a single cutout on the top with the idea of stopping the phone sliding around (not worked so for, more testing and finding a good rubber to hold it is needed).
There is also now a platter that slides over the top so providing a more stable base for the phone. Slides down and mates flush with the top half.
Look for the "LR" marked files - these will be the ones that will be updated from now on.
Using Prusa Slicer I added a modifier for the lower half and increased the size of the perimeter widths to 0.5mm so as to reduce the need for gap fill (something that often causes my nozzle to jam as there isn't really the room). I also turned of the thin wall detection.
Slot the PCB into the lower half. Using a soldering iron (mine has adjustable temperature so I set for about 180C) gently push the supports either side of the USB port, the corner support and side support so that the plastic is melted over the top of the PCB.
For the charging coil, line up the wires into the slot and cutouts. Repeating the process above, melt the central support to hold it in place.
Connecting the Case
The two halves of the case can be secured together with a little superglue (cyanoacrylate), then pressed firmly together.
The case is technically designed to be push fit, but the wires for the coil are somewhat stiff and could push the two halves apart.