I saw a really cool soldering helping hand tool at my local amateur radio club meeting. So I did a search and found and printed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2757071 by Mistertech. I really like the original, but being a mechanical engineer I wanted to redesign it to work the way I need and to take better advantage of how a 3D printer makes parts.
The things I wanted different are the following;
- I needed bigger things to grab to open the jaws with one hand while I feed a wire to solder.
- I don't have the small diameter feet in stock that is used on the original, but I do have a bunch of real thin feet, so I didn't need pockets for the feet.
- I wanted bigger teeth with the top one able to grip really small wires. I also wanted a shelf structure to hold flat things.
- I wanted to print all the jaw parts with the cross-section of the jaws in the X-Y plane so that the teeth and the pivot can be made with a better fit.
This is my result. I included a step model in the file list, so if you want to do a remix, you won't have to go through the process of curve fitting the .stl files.
Print two copies each of the rotating and static jaws and one base. I printed mine on my Creality Ender 3 Pro using HTPLA+ (3D870 from Nature Works) filament from Fusion Filaments
I wrapped some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper around an exacto knife handle to sand the inside diameter of the pivot on the static jaw parts. It didn't take much to make this joint pivot nice and smooth. You don't have to do this. If they are forced together and worked loose, that will work ok too (as long as you don't break them).
I sanded the bottoms (the part that fits into the base) and the sides of the static jaws so that I had a good smooth, but tight fit. Be sure to get the bottoms nice and flat so that they sit flush in the pockets. I glued mine using super glue. They aren't coming apart.
I made this remix by importing the .stl files from the original and converting the mesh objects to BRep solids. The solids were split so that I had a clean surface of the teeth and pivot to project onto a sketch surface. I then fitted these curves and then modified them to get the profiles I wanted. I then extruded these profiles and built the assembly from these new solids.