DNA Lamp Reloaded
Video: My DNA-Lamp
I found the design of a DNA-Lamp from joaoduarte at
thingiverse (DNA-Lamp ) and was inspired from it. Looks great and I wanted to build one for my own. First thing my wife said: "This is not really a DNA double helix. It is too flat and not double". As I looked in the instructables, I did not feel confident regarding the power supply and the used motor. I didn´t want to have 230 V inside the bottom case. So I decided to remix it a little bit. The result you can find here. The idea is the same like before but it is a complete new design.
As the original idea is from joaoduarte, please send tips and greatings to him.
Here are my major changes regardig the origin design:
- more realistic DNA double helix.
- to avoid wobbling of the DNA I fixed it at the top with a bearing.
- no line voltage in the case, plug-in power supply or battery instead.
- geared 12 V motor to drive the moving part.
- 22 UV-LEDs for illumination (ring of 8 and second ring of 6 in the top cover, ring of 8 in the bottom).
- my own arduino based control electronics pcb.
- integrated PIR sensor to switch the lamp on, if motion is detected (useful if the lamp is placed e.g. in a corridor and should not run the whole time)
- different programs and modes (rotating or not, permanent illumination, PIR mode, pulsing, etc.).
- two ways of power supply (external plug-in wall power supply or integrated 9 V battery block).
What you need to build it:
- 22 x UV-LEDs 3 mm (e.g. Ebay )
- 1 x tube Plexiglas XT Farblos 60/54 mm - 200 mm (e.g. Plexiglas )
- 1 x geared motor 2 rpm (e.g. Banggood )
- 1 x spool of filament glow in the dark (e.g. Glow in the dark Filament)
- 1 x electronik board as described (look at the files and feel free to build one)
- 1 x step-up-converter (if using 2 x 1.5 V as Power Supply)
- 1 x Plug-in wall mount power supply (12 V, min. 500 mA)
- 1 x compartment for 9 V block battery (64,5 x 37 x 22,5 mm, e.g. Bopla 46300000)
- 1 x On/Off/On rocker switch (19,2 x 12,9 mm, e.g. Marquardt 01801.6115-00)
- 1 x HC-SR505 Mini Infrarot PIR-Detektor Modul
- 1 x Push switch w/ LEC indicator, red, Off(On) 2P SPST 3V, 1A/125VAC
- 8 x Nd magnet to connect BaseUpper- and BaseLowerPart removeable.
- Some enamelled copper wire (wire-Wrap wire) to connect the top-LEDs
- solder iron
- some plastic glue (e.g. Uhu hart Kunststoff)
- BaseLowerPart.stl, BaseUpperPart.stl and TopCover.stl printed without support
- DNA has the support integrated, so choose in Slicer: No support!
- Platform.stl and TopLedCarrier.stl printed with support
The video describes some basic assembly. The electronics must be soldered first. The connections are described in the circuit
diagrams. The Top LEDs (the PCB) has 3 connectors. They must be soldered with wire-wrap wire along the Plexiglas tube to the circuit pcb in the bottom.
Thanks to Joao Duarte for his nice design!
DasFilament.de PLA, PETG
Black /Glow in the Dark green