My kids needed seat pockets for their summertime home school, I had a pair of old worn-out jeans, and my little girl got a sewing machine for her birthday last year, so I got a little crafty and decided to get a jump start on the National Day of Making with this Levi's Button Fly Seat Pocket. #NationOfMakers (See instructions for detailed ... um... detailed instructions.)
Obviously, Levi's is a brand name, and I'm not suggesting that this is a Levi's brand product -- I'm just being clear that it's made from one.
- Cut up a pair of jeans and sew the pieces together to make a 12" x 22" sheet. (30 x 56 cm)
- Cut out a back pocket from the jeans, and sew it to the outside of the denim, centered side to side, with the opening about 2" (5 cm) from the bottom edge.
- Cut out 7" sections of waist fabric from the jeans and remove the belt hoops. (Alternatively, cut 3.5" x 12" strips from the pant leg denim, and sew into a tube, inside out. Turn it right side out before you sew on the button and hole.)
- Cut out a button hole and a button and sew them onto the ends of the waist fabric. I'll call these parts the straps.
- Cut a liner fabric to the same size as the denim, and place it on top of the denim so the good sides are facing each other.
- Fold the straps (see second photo) and place them between the two pieces of fabric (facing the middle, and almost completely hidden) so that only 1/4 inch or so will be sewn when you sew across the top edge.
- Sew the top and both sides (but not the bottom) along line B. (See diagram.)
- Turn inside out and iron flat.
- Fold the (not yet sewn) bottom edge up toward the liner about 1/4" (1 cm) and sew across the bottom. This puts a nice edge on the top of the pocket.
- Fold the bottom up about 8 inches (20 cm), with the liner facing out to form the pocket. (Line D)
- Sew around the pocket (lower portions of the sides, and the bottom) along Line C.
- Turn right-side out, and hang from a chair back using the buttons.
- Watch kids as they discover the new seat pockets -- they'll be delighted.