The Green Arrow Pendant incorporates the DC Green Arrow logo into a fashionable choice to show your love for the fictional comic book character. This pendant is the dark green that is similar to the same color as DC Green Arrow. It is for any and all fans of DC's Green Arrow.
The pendant is pretty small to allow for comfort while wearing it as well as fashion. It has a small hole to hook a string through. The measurements used were the same as the ones I used for the Green Arrow Maker Coin. I just extruded on both sides this time instead of one.
Here is the link to the maker coin if you are interested in more Arrow Themed products:
This print took a total of 16-20 minutes to fully print.
Overview and Background
The Green Arrow Logo Inspiration for my Green Arrow Pendant
Like I said earlier, the pendant was based off of DC's Green Arrow Logo as depicted above. I used the same measurements as I did for the Green Arrow Maker Coin. The biggest challenge was perfecting the hole for the string to go through. This process took three (3) tries to perfect and the pendant depicted in the photo slideshow are the final product. I will guide you through the process.
First, for the old version of the pendant, the hole was too small and weakly supported for it to print correctly. However, the main issue with the first print that was actually a major issue was the fact that I did not print it with a raft. I used the Dremel 3D Printer, and for that printer, a raft is required for successful printing. Below is the abomination of a print that resulted.
Print without a raft
As you can see, the back looks like it was ripped off, which was exactly what happened since the print was stuck to the plate and had to be pried off with an excess of force.
For my second print, I did not change the Solidworks file at all. Instead, I merely added a raft to the print settings and tried it again. It was upon the second print that I noticed the reoccurring issue of the hole for the string being to small and too weak. The print for the hole was messed up, and it could not fit a string through it because of interfering supports. Below is a depiction of the issue. I put the new version beside it for easy comparison. I will go into more detail about the new version later.
Old Version vs. New Version
As you can see, the old version had the support interfering greatly with the hole. The hole is demented and not round.
For my third and final print, I went into the Solidworks file and made the hole smaller and the ring wider for a thicker ring overall. As you can see in the "AFTER" picture, the ring is a lot wider. While the hole may seem "too small," the hole can easily be made bigger with a small drill tip. It is easier to make a hole bigger with more print around rather than trying to make a hole smaller.
Lesson Plan and Activity
This project was produced as a Genius Hour Project, which means it was done in spare extra time as a project for fun. The project outlines basically boil down to making something that you as the creator will like to print and will enjoy.