MANA3D Bondtech Bowden Extruder 1.75 mm
Do you know what really grinds my gears? Slipping extruders.
I've designed a bowden extruder using a kit of (cloned) Bondtech drivegears.
The mounting bracket is designed for a sheet of Dibond with a thickness of 4 mm. Of course you're free to design your own mounting bracket, the two 3 mm holes in the front of the extruder are 14 mm apart from each other.
I've printed it in PETG with 5 horizontal and 5 vertical perimeters, 50 % infill at 0.2 mm layer height. Support structures are builtin.
Hope you enjoy it!
Materials you'll need
4x M3 bolt 30 mm (lens or cylinder head)
2x M3 bolt 12 mm (lens or cylinder head, just if you're going to use my mounting bracket)
4x M3 washer
4x M3 star washer
2x M3 square nut
1x M4 bolt 50 mm (hex head)
1x M4 bolt 20 mm (just if you're going to use my mounting bracket)
1x M4 washer
1x M4 knurled thumb nut
1x M4 lock nut (just if you're going to use my mounting bracket)
2x M6 bowden push-fitting
1x extruder spring
1x Bondtech drivegear kit
1x NEMA17 stepper motor
Just in case you're thinking in imperial units: 1 inch equals 25.4 mm :)
- Use a 2 mm drill to clean the filament path inside the extruder body
- Redrill all 3 and 4 mm holes inside the extruder body and idler
- Screw the two M6 bowden push-fittings into the extruder body (use a M6 tap to clean the thread if they don't fit properly)
- Put the two M3 square nuts into the extruder body (bottom)
- Attach the Bondtech idler pulley to the printed extruder idler
- Put the Bondtech motor pulley on the stepper motor shaft. Don't tighten it yet!
- Attach the extruder body to the stepper motor with three M3 bolts (30 mm length), M3 washers and M3 star washers
- Insert filament into the extruder body
- Fasten the Bondtech motor pulley on the stepper motor shaft, adjust its height accordingly
- Attach the extruder idler with the last M3 bolt (30 mm length), a M3 washer and a M3 star washer. The idler has to move freely, avoid too much tension!
- Put the extruder spring onto the M4 bolt (50 mm length)
- Insert the bolt into the extruder body
- Secure the M4 bolt (50 mm length) with a M4 washer and a M4 knurled thumb nut
- You can adjust the pressure on the filament by turning the knurled thumb nut
- Put the M4 lock nut and two M3 bolts (12 mm length) into the mounting bracket
- Attach the mounting bracket to the extruder body
- Use a M4 bolt (20 mm length) to attach the mounting bracket to a Dibond sheet