This is a simple ruler that can be engraved onto your laser cutter's base. It has tick marks every 10mm (1 cm) to allow for estimation of the size and desired position of a design to laser cut. I currently have a piece of cardboard below my cutter, so I engraved onto it.
To customize this for your machine, see How I Designed This below!
I designed this in Inkscape, using an L-system (Big thanks to http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16518 for the idea of a L-system) to create the ticks.
This can easily be customized to fit your machine:
- Open File -> Document properties in Inkscape.
- Set the width and height of the canvas to be the size of your cutter. Close the Properties window.
- Select Extensions -> Render -> L-System
- Input these parameters:
Order: [enter the number of ticks you'd like - divide your machine's width by the tep length set]
Step length: [distance between ticks - 10 is great]
Randomize step: 0
Left angle: 90
Right angle: 90
Randomize angle: 0
- Apply the L-system
- Select the L-system. Scale it to be the width of the canvas and a pleasing height.
- Export your file - I use the Gcode extension, but you could also export an SVG, DXF, PDF, or wherever you CAM software accepts.