I was searching for a control box to fit my MKS GEN L, Raspberry Pi 3B and a Buck Convertor (LM2596). Plus, I wanted to be able to still easily connect a usb cable to both the MKS GEN L and the Raspberry Pi.
I did not find such a box, so I decided to create it on my own as my very first fusion360 project. While I was at it, I decided to incorporate a cable chain connection for the heated bed. It replaces the cableChain_40MountSide from the cable chain at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2920060. You can now connect the cable chain directly to the control box.
The left control box also holds an opening in the bottom to feed through a cable to the PiCam.
This is the result. Have printed and fitted it myself. All fits snugly.
Some Ender-3's have the connection for the stepper motor cable on the bottom, in that case you will have to unscrew the stepper motor and turn it so the connection is at the back and doesn't get in the way of the cover.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are using TMC2130 or TMC2208 stepper drivers, this box will be too low to have the cables on top of the stepper drivers and to fit a fan above it. Even the heat sinks will cause an issue as they are bigger with these stepper drivers. For a larger box and a case fan positioned to the side see my other version: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3508238
If you are switching to the new SKR V1.3 32-bit board, check out my modification for that board: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3558321
Fusion360 file included.
- Remove supports
- Temporarily remove y-axis endstop and y-axis stepper motor bracket
- Slide box in rail
- Optionally connect the two boxes with a M5 bolt and nut (it's snug enough to do without)
- MKS Gen L can be fitted with original board screws from the Melzi board
- Raspberry Pi 3B slides over the mounting points
- LM2596 can be fitted with 2x M3
- Covers are put in place with 2x M3 and at the back with a M3 with M3 t-nut (if you don't have them, you can print them: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3050607)
- Covers can hold a 40x40x10 fan. Mount it with M3 bolts and nuts.