See it in action!
What it is?
- This is what I call a CDCP, or a Carrier Driven Compound Planetary. It is very similar to a typical compound planetary, except for the fact that it does not have a sun gear, thus the input becomes the carrier. when you spin the carrier 20X the second ring gear will make one rotation. (depending on which way you are holding it)
- This assembly requires a LOT of precision in your printer. Before printing it, make sure to change your nozzle, tighten your belts, calibrate your printer and print it extremely slowly.
- You might also consider using a negative horizontal expansion setting in your slicer.
- The fusion 360 file includes a parameter for bearing clearance, it is default set to leave .2mm clearance over or under the bearing diameter, you can adjust this in the parameters window.
- I haven't made an assembly video for this exact model, but its extremely similar to this assembly video, with the exception of the missing sun gear https://youtu.be/_VgXObcfXug
- There are some points that I missed in the video, such as, you need to place a 3mm washer on the side of the planets that have numbers before installing the bearings on them. Make sure that your washers only contact the inner race of the bearings.
- Make sure that you insert the planets in the order and orientation shown in the video, if you cant read the numbers, or if you cannot see the marks, you will need to reprint them more carefully.
- Each planet has a round 3mm alignment mark on the same end as the numbers that needs to face towards the sun gear, if you do not align this properly, either the carrier will not fit, or the second ring gear will not fit.
Other Important Info:
- I Included the Fusion 360 Project with this, But the most recent version of this project can be downloaded in lots of different formats from this link:
- Final Ratio 20:1 or 1:20
- Planetary Gear Set A
- Teeth Planets: 13
- Teeth Ring: 38
- Planetary Gear Set B
- Teeth Planets: 13
- Teeth Ring: 40
Show Your Work!
- Make a "make" and show everyone what you made! (make? :0) Everyone will thank you for it!
For More Cool Projects and Upgrades, Don't forget to Follow Me on Thingiverse and Subscribe to my Youtube Channel
Gear Down For What?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.