Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

GesaPi

Braid Galaxy

by GesaPi Jan 25, 2019
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I would love to print this... But how on EARTH am I supposed to do so? The design calls for supports, but when I slice it with my regular support profile, the model is absolutely riddled with supports! I can't even see the model through all of the support pillars. It looks like it would be a complete nightmare to clean up and probably ruin the model in the process.... Any support tips would be GREATLY appreciated!! (I use Ideamaker and my filament needs supports beyond 50 degrees)

Hi kevinbakon08!
Sorry for the somewhat late reply, I hope this is still useful for you:
The way to successfully print this, for me was:

  • Lay it flat

  • infill 100%

  • check "support only where touching buildplate" (so no supports are generated inside model! this is very important, I used cura for this. I don't know if idea-maker can do it.)

  • and keep the support on overhangs up from around 50°, or 55°, depending on what your filament can handle. (I used 50°)

  • support density 8% for easy removal yet enough support

  • keep the print speed under 50mm/sec

  • then after slicing check that all unsupported parts are not too steep overhangs, they should be good to print on their own.

If this helps, attached is a screenshot of how cura sliced my modell.

If you have successfully printed it, would be great to see a photo!

Best wishes,
GesaPi

Thank you for the suggestions, it helped me make some progress... The first couple of attempts were not successful (see the white print), but then I scaled the model down 50% with the same settings and it printed much better with this filament (see black print). The white model broke in several spots and the black model printed much better, but still needed lots of cleanup. I printed both of these at 15mm/s so it did not ruin the print by moving too quickly... The main issue seems to be because of retraction, no matter what settings I try using (open to retraction seeing tips). If I turn off retraction, there is WAY too much stringing and with retraction on, the printing messes up because of the intricacy of the model... I may try a different slicer to see if I can get better results. Don't get me wrong, I AM happy with the black/50% model. It's just a relatively challenging print, apparently. Good results do seem possible, with patience!!