This is a customizable tray made to mount inside filament spools to be used as parts trays. It has been designed to never need supports or rafts. It also uses little to no infill in order to optimize printing times.
This is one part of a much larger project. The other parts that go with it can be found below:
Bearing - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3363737
Stand - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3369716
This is my first project in OpenSCAD, so if you notice any bugs, issues, or potential additions please leave a comment.
With the right settings there is no limitations to how you print this part.
I have printed it at .3 with a .4mm nozzle and I have printed it at .8 with a 1mm nozzle. You will only have to adjust your settings accordingly.
Some of my suggestions are as follows:
- Wall Thickness - close to an even multiple of your extrusion width, print with enough perimeters to avoid infill.
- Vertical Trays - For a 1 kg roll I don't see any usefulness in doing more than 2.
- Horizontal Trays - Less than 2 is useless, the maximum number is dependent on the size of spool you have.
- Wall Thickness - This should be a multiple of your extrusion width. 4 total perimeters has worked well for me.
- Handle Length - 7 is large enough for me to grab without sticking out far enough to be bothersome.
- Pivot Outer Radius - 4mm works well with the M2 screw that I use.
- Pivot Inner Radius - Use roughly half the diameter of the screws that you will be connecting the trays with.
There will be no post printing clean-up with this part.
This was designed through force of will alone. I spent many hours learning OpenSCAD, designing, and redesigning. I am honestly surprised that I was able to include as many features as I was.