Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Turbo_SunShine

Strengthen Vase-Mode prints with Spray Foam! (for RC-planes)

by Turbo_SunShine Dec 3, 2018
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

This is an interesting concept, my first thought was to equalize the pressure on the outside by putting the model in a bucket and then fill the bucket with sand around the model. foam pushes out, sand pushes in? if the model is falling apart from heat maybe try wet sand. Good luck!

Thanks for the really cool idea! Im definitively going to look into it!

If that works all that needs to be worked on is making it actually fill the print.

Check also the internal wing structure of this plane: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3204128
Add the below-mentioned holes and you should be good to go... ;)

Sparrow 3D Printed Plane

Thank you for the suggestion! Sadly that is the exact structure I wanted to avoid using in my design, since printing that often requires a lot of travel and retraction, witch again extends the print time. However i have no doubts that it in deed would work rather well if someone would chose to create it!

May worth trying to have some holes regularly spaced throughout the foil to allow for one, the foam to expand and cure, for two, to release some excess pressure that builds up and deform the airfoil. I've actually used a similar technique but with polyurethane resin and a much stronger shell (you can find the featured article in Hackaday here with more details: https://hackaday.com/2017/09/03/polyurethane-meet-3d-printing/). Another thought would be to still use an infill every n layers that could be minimal, just enough to prevent the foil getting out of shape. Overall, a very nice idea. I want to see it succeed! Congrat's.

Hey! thanks for the nice comment!
I will be sure to try your suggestions im my follow up video, and thanks for the Hackaday article! was a nice read!

I have tried to do this before and the foam either was too strong and bowed the plastic or broke it entirely. I tried some other foam from smooth on and it ended up heating up too much that PLA delaminated or expanded. I agree there has got to be a good predictable way of doing this. I think plaster bandages may be an interesting way of temporarily reinforcing the print while the foam does its thing. I used an epoxy impregnated cloth (used to fix yard tool handles) to pretty good effect but it was a more permanent method.

Thanks for the idea! First time this was suggested to me! It sounds like a good idea, however the main idea behind the initial experiment was to create a precise and stron airfoil quickly and with close to no hassle, but depending on how much time i have at my disposal when i make a follow up video, I might try this!

I think another problem will be getting the foam to expand fully into the narrow section of the airfoil. I know it was one of my issues.
I also had trouble with the foam wanting to expand straight up from where it gets placed, when really I wanted it to expand and spill over. for example, I was super gluing 2 pieces of 0 infill PLA together and I wanted the expanding foam to rise from one piece into the other to strengthen the whole assembly into 1 solid foam cored piece. but as the foam expanded thru the holes I cut between the parts, it didn't fill the bottom of the 2nd part fully. I get that I could have kept adding foam to the project as it expanded but I abandoned the idea of spray foam in favor of the 2 part foam from smooth on.

Maybe you try add anchors connecting top and bottom and see help keep it shape better

Hi! thanks for the suggestion! I already got a lot of nice feedback ideas, and I will definitely try this too in a follow up video/project!