I decided I wanted to beef up the emitter assembly of the propmaker lightsaber - and by the time I got that far in porting their design in to my own Fusion 360 project it seemed like it would be fun to continue to tinker with it and make a different looking saber. This is highly based on their connection designs and internal dimensions.
I was still able to print everything without supports (though I did use brim on a couple to increase adhesion). Tolerances designed for PLA printing, not sure what would happen with ABS. Mostly designed for non-multimatertial printing (as opposed to the original).
New Features (over the original)
1) Much Strengthened Emmiter / Blade retention
2) USB Port accessible without disassembly
3) Pommel redesigned to fit an 8-led ring that can light up with the blade
4) Cutout for the adafruit "Breadboard-friendly SPDT Slide Switch"
5) Interchangeable Guard / Accent rings
I'm open to posting the Fusion 360 file (It won't be as tidy as the Adafruit ones) and/or the code I edited for the additional LED ring if anyone cares. I'm also open to adding other Guards / rings if someone wants something reasonable / specific.
Recommend you use 30 gauge wire for the LED ring if you are going to light up the pommel and route each wire in a separate channel past the speaker. I used A1 for the Din line on the Propmaker.
I wired the 2nd button to D4 on the Propmaker.
I wired the SPDT Slide Switch across the enable pins. The slot for the slide switch is purposely tight and make require minor re-work to get the switch into it.
- I threw in the light saber tip I designed also, it does need supports to print but can be printed with no infill. The section that fits into the blade tube is intentionally slightly too large so you can sneak up on a tight fit with a file or sandpaper.
I used all of the recommended adafruit parts except the following:
I Used this Blade (Had them cut it to 36"):
This LED Strip for the blade (1m 144LED ip30):
This LED Ring for the Pommel (8bit Version):
This Button (in place of the red button):
Mine is still going strong but I wanted to beef up the screw connections to give it a little more strength. These are labeled "Stronger_" and must be used together, all other parts can be used from the old set. I have not printed these yet but I have done test prints to test the new screw connections.
FYI, the external parts are :
Emitter -> -> Barrel_Feather -> Clamp -> Barrel_Battery -> -> Pommel
Blue / Silver / Black / Clear