Hypercube Horizontal Conversion
What is it?
This is a complete conversion from the default Hypercube layout, it rotates the rods to be horizontal and aligns everything in the center of them.
- Balanced symmetrical horizontal carriage means less vibrations with high jerk and acceleration.
- Smooth shaped ducts provide high airflow through the ducts.
- Easy adjustable belts.
- Seperate printed spiral bushings with integrated BLTouch mount.
- Centered belts on carriage inbetween X rods ensures less binding.
- Perfectly aligned XY joiner ensures the belts run parallel.
- 300x300mm build space retained on HC300 by moving the bed back.
For now it is for sensorless homing only, if interest is high enough I will be able to stick a limit switch on the parts as well as add an inductive probe if I get the offsets from somewhere.
This design has the nozzle raised up higher that a default Hypercube which can cause the Z axis to "bottom" out on a HC300 because of the bracket holding the Z rods. Since this design is made to use with a bed leveling tool like a BLTouch in mind you should be able to remedy this by adding bushings instead of springs to under your bed. The bushing to get max travel from your Z axis are included and replace your bed springs (this is with a 3mm aluminium bed and 2mm glass build surface). Alternatively you can print my reworked Z axis and have stronger parts with full travel.
The BLTouch probe is offset 40mm behind the nozzle and 0mm in the X direction, don't forget to add these to your firmware. Also don't forget to change your max Y size to about 275mm if you haven't moved your bed back yet.
Because belt spacing in the original design is 8.5mm you will need to cut one of the 10mm X rods to precisely the right length otherwise the belts will rub against the end. On my HC300 this is 400mm, the second rod has to be 400mm also but can be a little longer as there is a lot more clearance.
I have also uploaded reinforced motor mounts and idler mounts for 16 and 20T idlers, you can get those here.
- 29-nov-2018: Created and uploaded a reworked Z axis to regain full Z travel. Download here.
- 14-nov-2018: Tested FANG_V1 and found out it didn't cool uniformly on both sides. I've adjusted and uploaded a V2 version which is much improved compared to V1 and recommended over both other designs. Check out the differences here, printed with the same gcode.
- 13-nov-2018: Added two alternative part cooling ducts, I have tested the ALT version but not the FANG version.
- 2 16T toothed idlers
- 2 16T smooth idlers
- 2 LM8LUU bearings
- 12 20mm M3 screws for both XY joiners
- 4 35mm M3 screws for holding idlers in joiners
- 4 M3 nuts for rod clamps
- 12 M3 nyloc nuts for the rest
- 2 5015 blower fans
- E3D V6 compatible hotend
- BLTouch with mounting screws
- 4 25mm M4 screws and nuts for holding fans
- 4 15mm M3 screws and nyloc nuts for mounting the sleeve bearings
- 6 10mm M3 screws and 2 nuts/4 nyloc nuts for holding the belt clamps
- 4 10mm M3 screws and nuts for holding both fan ducts
- 2 10mm M3 screws and nuts for upper hotend clamp
- 2 20mm M3 screws and nyloc nuts to clamp the two halves
You can use a 35mm M3 screw and washer to pull the two center nyloc nuts in the two halves before you assemble them.
Four outlines and 30% on the joiners, three outlines with 25% on the carriage parts. Make sure your supports are removable and your extruder is calibrated as tolerances are tight. I usually design most things with 0.2mm tolerance. Everything except the ducts and bearings will need support.