This thing is meant for vives that have the hard plastic strap holder. I think this is with models from 2017 up?
Thoroughly tested and is likely the best vive fan mount on thingiverse.
Please print as you see fit. Supports required.
Vive deluxe strap NOT required.
•No vibrations and very low noise due to the mount sitting on the vive strap, which absorbs the vibrations
•High clearance, so you never touch it, and it never touches anything else.
•Low material cost, fast print.
•Built in fan cover, dont have to worry about anything getting in.
•Easy, fast, non permanent mount. Yet holds strong.
•No obstructions, no need to fiddle with anything. Just plop it on and zip-tie.
- Find an unused USB cable lying around, cut off the end that doesnt have a full USB (male)
- Cut the connector off your fans, as long as possible.
- Strip both USB and fan wires. Cut anything else besides the red and black wires.
- Attach the red wires from the USB to the fan -- And the black wires from the USB to the fan. (Tie together, hot glue, solder, electrical tape, heat shrink or any combination that works) (Note: during this step you can optionally put a toggle switch between the red wires so you can turn on/off the fan)
- Take off the vive wire cover, see how to here : https://www.vive.com/media/filer_public/e4/17/e4179a36-6f9e-4945-bd18-651bf45a49cd/guid-be9906e2-dc41-4199-80a3-0fea2cb69213-web.png
- Plug in your USB cable and put the cover back on. Make sure to run the USB cable with the rest of the wires.
----- The hard part is over, here is how to install the print -----
- Thread the zip-ties through the holes on the rectangle, very thick zip-ties may not work.
- Slide the rectangle into the head strap holder on top of the strap itself (The moving flap with a triangle cut out of it)
- Zip tie it down tight.
- Screw your fan in place and you are done.
•When using this cooling method, even with just 1 cheap 30mm fan i noticed that i no longer got hot while playing. This mount helps cool the vive and your face at the same time.
•You will want to make sure that your USB cable you cut is as short as you can get it while being able to plug it in.
•Your gonna want a switch for the fans, simply put a toggle/rocker switch between the red wires -- This is optional. However if you dont use a switch the fan will stay on even when the headset is off, to turn the fan off without the switch, you will need to unplug the vives power.
•I noticed the fan kicks up in speed significantly once the vive starts up.
•I have yet to test the 2 fan version, as i only have one fan. But it should work just fine.
•This cover included version has a 30mm fan cover built in where the fan blows out, but not where it takes in. It is recommended that you print a secondary 30mm cover.