This is an ongoing project to upgrade my Tronxy X5S to a tool-changing set up. This is my attempt at an "if cost were not considered" build, meaning I have elected to go with the best, in my opinion, options for my personal preferences when it comes to my 3D printers. In the case of this machine that includes linear rails for all axes, a Duet WiFi and PanelDue 7i, one 24V PSU solely for the bed (or more if ever required for extra hotends or toolheads), and genuine E3D V6s for all currently active toolheads.
With this redesign, the aluminum extrusions can easily be changed for longer ones to increase the build volume along X, Y, and Z. Simply change the extrusions to the desired length, and swap out the respective linear rails to the appropriate length.
Once parts are completed, installed on my machine, and tested for functionality they will be uploaded, including a detailed change log. The most current part version will completely replace the previous, unless there is good reason to keep the old version alongside the new.
Please feel free to try out this design for yourself and let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, issues, requests, or fixes.
UPDATE 1/30/19 INCLUDES:
- XYZ Linear rail conversion - adds rigidity and no wobble
- Z screw conversion to to belt driven - quieter and no wobble - (this is my preferred setup)
- E3D V6 Toolhead
- Electronics board has room for Duet Wifi + Duex expansion
- PSU case has room for two supplies and a mosfet. Should fit most supplies, as holes are designed to bolt in the brace rather than the supply itself. Case will be modular to allow for more supplies to be added as more hotends are potentially added
- Build volume roughly X320, Y275, Z420
UPDATE 3/16/19 INCLUDES:
- New Tool Changer Design - moved away from circular design. Tool Changer setup slightly reduces build volume in Y direction.
- New designs for X,Y, and Z Linear Rail Mounts
- Sensorless X and Y Homing - (will not be personally designing Endstops mounts)
- BLTouch for Z homing and ABL - (will not be personally designing other sensor mounts)
- New Z Belt Mount design
- Still working on Duet + Duex Case
- Still working on PSU case
- My base Simplify 3D profile
- My working Duet Firmware
- My personal Duet Macros
UPDATE 4/2/19 INCLUDES:
- New design for Z Belt Mount
- New design for Z Motor Mounts
- Complete redesign of bed system. Now uses custom length extrusions. (more details to come later)
- Print In Place Duet + Duex Case designed - not tested
- New Design for Titan Extruder Mount
UPDATE 4/24/19 INCLUDES:
- New Tool Changer Fan design - fixes cooling issue
- Moved BLTouch closer to Tool Head
- New Part Fan Shroud design
- Slightly decreased magnet cutout depth for more magnetic force
- New Tool Head Dock design - more compact
- New Common Tool Head Emblems - (will provide blank template)
- Improved wire management cutouts
- X Rail Mount and Tool Carriage are now one part
- I recommend using heat resistant tape around hot end and under and around part fan.
(will note when and how issue has been solved)
Not enough air flow from part cooling fans (found by mrmanjf)
SOLVED - changed two small 25mm fans for 1 40mm
Bed level not able to be adjusted without ABL (found by mrmanjf)
X Mount and Tool Carriage are wobbly when connected (found by mrmanjf)
SOLVED - combined parts into one part
- Hotend wiring is difficult (found by mrmanjf)
SOLVED - made hole larger - should now easily fit connectors
This machine evolved out of necessary upgrades to my stock TronXY X5S, while its brother printer, the TwoCube, evolved from of a friend's request for me to do something similar with his Ender3.
Check out the resulting machine here...