I wanted an easy way to mount the Filament spool to my Kossel with Openbeam Extrusions without needing to get the wires out of the way.
The spool can easily be changed with one hand in no time.
It runs freely on 2 printed Ball-bearings designed by user blecheimer.
It is designed for a 38mm or 48mm spool hub
although it can easily adapted to smaller and bigger spools (drop me a comment if you don't want to do it yourself)
Please see the instructions tap for how to print this thing.
Edit 05/2014: added support for 608 Bearings
Edit 05/2015: added support for 3030 extrusions with 608 bearings
Parts you need:
- 12 6mm Softair Bullets (can be replaced by other balls)
- 1 M3x6 Screw
- 1 M3x20 Screw
- 2 M3 Nuts
You need to print 2 Ball Bearings made by blecheimer (see "remixed from") I needed to print the inner part in 104% to get it to run tightly.
(Edit: I've added the option for 608 Bearings)
Print the parts uploaded here, select the correct spool hub for your purpose (I printed them with 0.2 layer height and 0.3 infill).
The file "Filamentlager" needs support for printing.
- Assemble the ball bearings
- Mount the bearings on the printed mounts
- insert the nuts into the openbeam extrusion (If you have thought of that when you first build the kossel, good for you)
- get the wires from the extruder motor out of the way for now
- mount the upper part (insert the extruder wires into the slot)
- get the wires back into the extrusion slot for about 7 cm
- mount the filament hub (again, insert the wires into the printed slot)
- test if you can mount your spool
- push the rest of the wire back into the slot