Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

CONSTRUCTeR

Radial fan / Radialventilator - 125RL

by CONSTRUCTeR Sep 15, 2018
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I’ve printed the 0.8 impeller from (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2939990) as well as the hub disc and the print looks good. But i’ve noticed that the impeller does not fit snugly in the slots on the disc. Is this normal?

Radial Fan Impeller / Radialventilator Laufrad - 125RL-6X

Yes, I've made similar experience. The more precise the print the better those two parts match. Stringing, warping and geometric inaccuracies can cause problems during the assembly. It's like a printer benchmark ;)

Thanks, I’ll try and tune.

This looks great. Can you post a link for the motor you using?

Comments deleted.

Hello, unfortunately there's no link for the DC motor because it is a no-name product that I bought as a remaining stock. I can tell you the dimensions:

  • Case: Ø 35,5 x 54,5 mm
  • Shaft: Ø 3,2 x 13 mm
    If there is a particular motor that you want to use, I can modify and upload the needed fan parts.

Thank you for the response. I managed to find a motor that should work, but I will keep you offer in mind just in case

Well it appears that the motor dimensions specified on the one that I order are not accurate. Can you modify for the following?

Case: Ø 37,5 x 57,0 mm (doubt that the length matters unless you see an issue)
Shaft: Ø 3,2 x 10 mm ( the shaft probably does not need to be modified...I checked the hub and it's secures well).

Thanks

I uploaded the modified parts 9 and 10. The main change is the increased diameter to 37.5 mm. I also removed the bottom of the motor holder. The extra 1 mm might help with the shaft-hub mounting.

In my print it seems that the sign on the "Motor Plate" is the wrong way. I double checked, I always printed the "right" version, but the little arrow seems to be pointing in the wrong direction. Or am I mistaken here and everything is correct?

I checked the files and they seem to be alright. If you print the first layer of the file "Part-Teil 08 R Motor plate-Motorplatte" (right version), without changing the orientation, the arrow should point at positive Y direction. Does that match your experience?

Sorry. My Bad I thought it should be attached to the Part 01....
Yeah maybe I should check everything before posting... Sorry
But anyway thanks for you reply :D

No problem ;) Have fun building the fan and maybe post a Make about it.

As soon as I'm done I will ;D just need to find a fitting motor ^^

Hi there!

There seems to be a significant widening in the aperture between the tangent point on the outside, where the spiral becomes a straight line, and the point where the inside spiral starts again. To me this represents a significant drop in pressure, which would reduce efficiency. Have you done any modelling on the air pressure through the fan housing?

My own design idea, not based on any actual modelling, would be to have the spiral continue until the tangent was on a direct line from the centre of the fan through the start of the spiral. In other words, the cross-section of the outlet should equal the cross-section at the point that no more air can enter the outlet. Does that seem reasonable?

I can see, OTOH, that your design minimises print area and total size of the fan housing. Was that your design criteria?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi Paul,

you did a very exact description of the housing geometry and yes the final design is a result of many compromises. The most important one is the print bed size. The spiral itself and the increasing cross section is defined by a formula. I designed this shape originally for an older project in a much bigger size and scaled it down for my 3D print hardware. That's how the described area was formed.

I don't know if this widening causes a reduced efficiency. There was no air pressure simulation during the design process. Your idea seem's definitely reasonable for me. I'll keep it in mind for the 2019 version of the fan.

Thank you for this thing! Thumbs up to you!

  • Posted with 3D Geeks Thingiverse Browser App

Ill need to keep an eye on this i think it may be usefull to extract the fumes from my laser cutter

I'm sure the fan can handle fumes ;)

Excellent !

Just print a grid for the input air flow. It could be a children security.
Thanks for share.

Thank you!
Great idea. I was more focused on running the fan with connected ducts.