This time, I have designed a smart storage system based on Japanese Bento boxes.
This bento box was designed to fit a 87W USB-C MacBook Pro charger and other accessories that I usually need to carry with me to my university. With this box and it’s modular design I an arrange them and protect them at the same time.
The typical Japanese bento box has 1 or 2 floors and a top, so this box can have 2 floors (1 base and 1 middle section) or more, if needed (1 base and several middle sections).
I have designed several variants of the same floors:
- “Base” and “Middle floor” are the modules that I have printed and shared on this post. They are the basic ones and have no static dividers.
- “Base_Small” and it’s variants are the basic “Base” module, but with the same hight as “Middle_floor”. It’s useful if you need a more compact set up.
- “Base_Tall” is another variant of the standard base, but this time featuring the size of a base and a middle flor. I t can be useful to carry bigger accessories like power banks or massive cables.
- “12” and “13” variants have static dividers. “12” variant have 1 divider, so you have 2 spare sections for your gadgets. “13” variant has 2 static dividers, which translates into 3 sections.
- “Divider” is a dynamic divider that you can move, add or remove to suit your needs. You can see them in my pictures. It’s designed to complement the modules that have no static dividers, but you can also add them to “12” and “13” variants if you want.
In order to properly close the box, even though the floors fit nicely, you can use a silicone band or a fabric band in order to make sure that it is not going to open on the go.
- Total Print Time:
- Floors: 2h and up
- Dividers: 30min
- Print Dividers at 100% Infill
Designed in Fusion360, sliced in Slic3r PE
Here are the links to the Fusion360 Files!
First of all, thank you for all the downloads! Almost 500 at the moment!
I'm pretty busy at the moment with a Furniture Project so I have almost no time for my personal projects, so this things will need some time in order to be published:
- I'm currently working on an improved version of the box! Once it's finished, I'll publish it and add a link to it here!
- I'm preparing a new type of floor for both versions of the box! It will be dedicated to storing pencils and objects with that shape (long and thin).
- I'm also playing with the idea of a new accessory for the box: a cable tie. The idea is to roll the cable on it so it can be more easily stored on the box.
That's all the news that I have for you right now! Stay tuned! ;)
(Also, don't forget to post your makes ;) )
I've been really busy with some projects from the university, so I'm delaying the Bento Box 2.
But there are good news! I've updated the "Top" and the "Divider"!
- Updated "Top": Now more stiff in order to improve the strength of the box
- Updated "Divider": Now tolerances should be better (Please, report if they are not so I can upload the previous version again)