I enjoy a lot the bearings that scarpantes has designed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3019490), but they have to be removed each time from the spool to be put onto a new spool, and are not easy to be kept on the new spool while inserting it on the spool holder.
So I made this "add-on" to be able to make all of this easier, allowing to easily remove the spool while letting the bearings on the spool holder, and make it easier to insert the new spool.
The 2 files :
- original20180817_Ball_Bearing_external_ring.stl (diameter 57.5 mm)
are the exact one from scarpantes, downloaded on 2018.08.17 to make my design. I put them here for compatibility in case the original ones are changed.
You have to :
- print 2 spacers
- print one tube
- have some glue
- and perhaps have a piece of sand paper to perfect the finish and ensure the gluing process.
Glue one bearing on each side of the tube :
- put the glue on one side of the tube itself, and attach it to the flat surface of a bearing (the side that does not show the balls). Repeat on the other side with another bearing.
- before gluing, you may sand a little bit the sides to be glued to ensure a good adhesion (mainly if you print the parts onto a glass bed)
- when the glue has dried, and depending on your print quality and precision, you may have to sand the raising edges a little so the spool does not force when inserting it on the tube when passing the bearings.
Put the whole thing onto the stock spool holder, adding a spacer before and after to ensure that the bearings do not rub the printer parts.
Should also work with Creality CR-10 printer