Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

pyr0ball

Silicone Sock for E3D v5 - 3KU Delta Printers

by pyr0ball Aug 8, 2018
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I had a ratcheting clamp and a 3d printed clamp laying around for use with this project.
But if neither is at hand perhaps tie wraps work as well? We'll see making 4 more.
https://imgur.com/oRwpPqL

Aloso wanted to test if sanding and painting the under side of insert - to smooth off the rough surface were support was, helped to better release the mold.

Can I ask that you put in the description this sock will fit a 3ku Delta printer. I didn't even know the type of heater/block nozzle I had. So I'm not sure how one would search and find this sock unless they also knew what style print head they have. Im going to do my best to spread the word as well.

Sure thing. Is that the heat lock that comes standard on the 3KU?

Yes the heat block is standard for 2016/2017 model. The nozzle thread is e3d but the shape of nozzle can be different depending on what the manufacturer shipped that particular month. Most when changing stock nozzle go for genuine e3d so good thing you included that type as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this for a lesser known older heater block/nozzle. Great model, awesome instructions. Only problems I had were mine from inexperience.

Made two of these last night, waited 24 hours.
1st one didnt have enough silicone to fill the top roof section but other wise came out ok. I was worried about over filling the mold. 2nd one came out much better. 1st is probably even usable still.
Everything about the mold is well thought out and prints great. Thanks for including print recommended settings. The alignment notch is helpful because when mold is full of silicone you wont be able to see bottom of mold. The handle is great to release the mold afterwards.

The only things I would improve in my process is better more through clean up of the under side of the insert - the interface between support material and insert. That rough surface made it a bit more difficult to remove the insert from sock. (the silicone filled in and stuck to rough surface) In my next attempts at making these socks I think I'll sand more and then apply a clear coat or a primer coat before adding the soapy water and silicone to the mold just to make the surface of insert and mold as smooth as possible. Hopefully that helps with a better release.

Good call on the support interface. I usually go over rough patches like that with my wide blade soldering iron, and use a hobby knife to work around the edges and under the top when I'm getting it out.

I'll see if I can make another one to take some pictures with and add to the instructions