This is my variation on the famous Utah Teapot, which started out as a test model for computer graphics by researcher Martin Newell in 1975. The original model, only being meant to produce rendered images, was merely a hollow shell without even a bottom, but people have been making variations that more closely resemble an actual usable teapot.
One of those variations is the high-poly ‘teaproof version’ by Unfold which I used as the starting point for this remix. I fixed the parts in that model that made it difficult to print:
- I made the bottom flat,
- I partially filled the underside of the lid to get rid of the overhangs and give it a good contact area with the print bed,
- I added a small extra bar in the upper part of the handle to act as a bridge and avoid the extreme overhanging angles.
This should be an easy print that does not require supports.
The result is actually usable for holding and pouring liquids, although anyone who has tried to print waterproof containers will have noticed that it is difficult to obtain a bottom that does not have microscopic leaks.
The prints in the photo are 40% size and printed with variable layer height between 0.07 and 0.15 mm. Good cooling is essential to print the overhanging parts without requiring supports.
It is likely the bridging bar in the upper part of the handle will be printed slightly ugly due to the strands of filament hanging down, but this should also make it quite easy to cut or sand them away to get a smooth result.
If you want to use this to hold water for an extended time, you should cover the inside with some kind of waterproof coating. Don't be fooled by apparent watertightness of the raw print, there are almost always microscopic gaps in the bottom layers that slowly let water seep through.