Work in progress
Disclaimer: this thing may never work, may ruin your day trying to get it going, may be damaged by water or an angry animal, etc. No warranties of any kind are provided. Stay safe when dealing with any animals, regardless of their size.
GPS Tracker for Wildlife
This is a prototype GPS tracker using the SmartOne GPS for wildlife conservation purposes.
There are two models:
- standalone adapter to place the GPS receiver/satcomm as is on top of a typical collar
- solar adapter that takes the internals of the GPS receiver, adds solar panels and a LiPo battery into a new case adapted for collars that are at least 50mm wide and 150mm diameter.
Panels 43x34x2mm 5V 0.2W
- LiPo batteries (some Samsung Galaxy S2/S5 or similar mass produced)
- Use the Customizer to change the collar diameter or bolt positions
- Take the generated STL file and (a) import it into your favorite slicer (e.g., Cura) for your 3D printer, or (b) send the file to a large 3D printing provider (e.g. Shapeways, 3D Hub).