My youngest granddaughter LOVES cats, with the same passion that many of us here LOVE 3D printing.
So for her 3rd birthday I decided to print out the Pusheen lamp but I didn't want to just cut a hole for a light, or connect one using batteries, wanted a more elegant and versatile solution, so enlisted the help of a buddy of mine who has solder running through his veins and chips where the rest of us have brain cells.
He designed and had a circuit board made up then worked on programming for a neopixel ring, for various lighting effects and colors. "Electronics.zip" has all the board specs, parts list, programming, manual, etc, needed to reproduce the electronics for this project.
Lamp has several modes: Rainbow Fade, Rainbow Swirl, Candle Flicker, plus 8 solid color modes.
In the meantime I remix'd the lamp:
- reduced height to 85% of the original, makes for a rounder/chubbier kitty
- cut an 80mm hole in the bottom, and joined two shells so Cura would stop inserting a 'ceiling' above the hole I cut (essentially it was treating the lamp as a solid object so the 'hole' I added had a specific depth and it would reseal above that)
- designed a cover/mount using that 80mm space, with twist lock tabs
- added slots to the lamp itself to lock new base in place
- added a DC jack mounting spot inside the lamp
- designed a knob for the potentiometers.
If anyone is wondering, DC jack placement is intentional, I may be a grandfather but I'm still childish heh.
Special thanks to my buddy Colin (Ex-L) without whom this project would not have been possible.
Thanks also to Ford_ who provided me with the STLs he made for the eyes and nose.
My initial print experienced an X shift at about 85% complete. Rather than reprint the entire project I removed the shifted section then experimented cutting the original STL down until I found the correct spot to match the shift location and reprinted just the top 15%.
Glued the top on using ABS Glue I made up, then added some ABS slurry to fill in the gaps (both at the joint and any other spots on the lamp that had imperfections), then sanded the whole project, starting with 100 grit, then 220, 320, 400.
And finally 600 grit.
Placed lamp in polypropylene container and added acetone soaked paper towels to vapour smooth. Left this in for just over 4 hours, refreshing the acetone twice in that time.
Electronics installed. (DC jack inserted as well though this can't be seen in the image)
Installed potentiometer knobs and rubber feet.
Used a heat gun on the eyes & nose just enough to soften them, then pressed them on to the lamp so they would mold to the curve of the cat's face, let them cool a minute. Applied ABS glue to the eyes and nose, then pressed them in place.
Finally used superglue to attach flower to Pusheen's ear.