AutoScan is a project created for the purpose of introducing a fast, easy, and accurate new way to take pictures of objects for the creation of 3D models using photogrammetry technology.
AutoScan consists of two parts: the rotating scanner plate and the AutoScan app.
The scanner plate holds the object being scanned on top, waiting for instructions from the app to rotate the object, allowing the app to take a picture from a new angle.
The AutoScan app is functioning as a camera and a controller, taking the pictures while communicating with the scanner plate via Bluetooth. In the app, the user can set the name of the projects and can choose how many pictures he wants.
Ariel Drach - Rotating Scanner Plate Design
- Eran Shmueli - App Development and Arduino Programing
- Gil Meir - Arduino Electronics Assembly
HEMDA - Tel Aviv Center for Science Eduction.
How to build AutoScan:
*The parts were designed to fit any standard 200*200mm printing bed!
*If we see a positive demand for AutoScan we will consider to design a bigger scanner, please show your love by liking and sharing (:
You have to print the the Base and Scanner plate. The bottoms are optional but handy!
- Scanner base.stl*1
- Scanner plate.stl*1
- AntiSlip bottoms-TPU.stl*4
We recommend using
App, Arduino sketch and Software
use this key to unlock: !iOrIEsXj8oPYUc5-hQDTQ43nSDfj49oK6W_2ILkvRbM
- Autodesk ReCap - Reality capture software to convert reality into a 3D model : Recap software - Not free
- 3DF ZEPHYR allows you to automatically and easily reconstruct 3D models from photos:
Zephyr 3D software - Free features
- Print the 3d parts
- Assembly the electronics to the corresponding scanner base mounts
- Wire the electronics according to the Fritizing scheme
- Upload the Arduino sketch to the Arduino board, You wiill have to disconnect the BT module RX/TX wires to upload the code! and reconnect them after you see "done uploading" message!
- Download and install the App, currently available for Android only
- Enable your Bluetooth on your mobile device and follow app instructions, check that motor responds and rotate
- Fix the bearing wheels using M5*20 Allen screws to the scanner walls
- Attach the scanner plate to the stepper motor shaft, check that the plate rests nicely on the bearing wheels
Happy scanning and dont forget to share your makes (:
Print it with your favorite material.
We used PLA 1.75mm