This is my try to convert the Tronxy x5s to single Z motor drive.
Parts needed (to purchase) :
- 2 GT2 40T pulleys, 8mm bore (one for each threaded rod)
- 1 GT2 20T pulley, 5mm bore (for motor)
- 1 1220mm closed GT2 belt
- 2 Threaded rods, 8mm x 500mm long. I think the original ones are too short for this mod. Need to try !!
Parts to pick from you existing printer :
- 2 KFL08 bearing flange (the ones that are on top of the threaded rods)
- One of the Z motors.
Since the motor pulley is 2x smaller than the rods pulleys, you'll have to change the steps/mm in you firmware. No need to up the stepper current, since there is a 2:1 ratio on the belt side !
Edit : I finally received my new Z rods, so I could test this thing !
It works great, no more bed tilting !
Edit : V2 added !
Make the supports 8mm higher, so a 500m leadscrew will fit for sure (don't rely on stock 430mm, they are too short !)
Make the motor support a bit longer, since 1220mm belt are fitting very thight
Added "anti wobble" Z support for leadscrew nut . Two options :
- Use standard M8 (or 5/16") threaded rod + nuts
- Use 8mm leadscrews + nuts
I've not yet tested the threaded rod version, but it can be cheaper and easier to source than leadscrew...
Next version to come : with idler pulleys
Parts should be easy to print without support. Don't forget to rotate them before !
You must print 2 "Rod supports", and choose if you want to keep the rods at the same place (small supports) or put them inside the printer (large supports).
If you put the axes inside the printer, you should also print upper rods supports.
Putting the axes inside the printer should make easier to enclose the printer !