This is a design for a pie panel dome hinge to suit Michael Baddeley's V2 R2D2 dome. This is my first 3D design, so I am still learning as I go.
I have included a modified pie panel with a flat spot and screw holes to attach the hinge, and modeled in details.
The current version of the design suits 9g servos such as the Turnigy TG9e or Hextronik HXT900.
- The mounting plate is printed in two halves to avoid support material.
- The hinge arm has support designed in. Print standing up and remove the support material once done.
- The pie piece panel can be printed standing up on one of its straight edges, as long as you use a brim to help bed adhesion.
- The spring seat (x2) and pivot are used with 5.5mm springs to provide relive to the servo. You could alternatively use purchased hardware.
- Use 1.75mm filament to aid alignment while gluing the mounting plate together.
- Attach the arm to the mounting plate with an m3 screw (>25mm) and nylock nut.
- Attach a 9g servo to the mounting plate using m2 screws and nuts.
- Bend an appropriate piece of wire to connect the servo to the hinge arm. I will provide the details of the paperclip design I used.
- Attach the pie piece to the hinge arm with 8mm m3 screws try to keep the screws aligned in the middle of the adjustment slots.
- Position the pie piece on the dome,tape in place and then glue the mounting plate in place on the inside of the dome.
- Adjust pie piece on the arm if required and optionally glue the join.
I am fairly confident that the design is now complete. But it has not undergone extensive testing.
The pie piece is a copy of Mr Baddeley's with a slight chamfer on the bottom edge and a mounting point for the hinge assembly. All other parts have been designed by me using Fusion360.
18 Feb 2018
I have uploaded another mounting plate designed to suit submicro servos sized around 23x12x23. I have not printed this design yet, or tested if submicro servos have enough torque to open the pie pieces. The servo mounting holes suit m2 screws, or hot glue would probably also work to keep the servo in place.
19 Feb 2018
v3 versions of the STLs have been uploaded. Changes include:
- Detail added on inside of pie panel
- Hinge arm clearances tweaked
- Micro servo mount screw holes turned into slots.
16 Mar 2018
Final versions uploaded. Changes include:
- Integrated support for hinge arm printing
- Modified servo alignment and reduced size mounting plate
- Angle of pie panel mounting flange tweaked to ensure better alignment of panel when closed.