NEW AS OF 3/24/2018
Updated the "x-axis cable extendomatic" to include a cover due to not being able to use zip ties. This may be a little overkill, everyone's opinions on this are more than welcome. I lost the SolidWorks file for the non-covered version so I'll have to remodel that from the stl if that is the preferred style.
Also I corrected the bolt hole misalignment in the x-axis-carriage-back pointed out by mikefilip here and nath5 on the Prusa forums. Unfortunately this version won't work with previous extension piece.
I also updated the pictures.
NOTE: This will be the last update on this thing. I plan to create a new thing and start with the current revision level of these parts as a sort-of "design release". I'll also separate the Rpi3 parts into it's own thing to avoid some confusion.
NEW AS OF 3/14/20018
Added a cable holder for the x-axis. It is a remix of sodamaexchen's cable holder and jltx's x carriage back plate with belt access. Benefits:
Removes the bolt that connects the cable holder to the back plate (which allowed the cable holder to spin pretty easily)
Wires pass through the bottom of the x carriage back plate so it can be replaced without having to re-wire everything
- YOU CAN'T USE CABLE TIES WITH THIS I've been running without cable ties for about a week and I haven't had any issues. If you put cable ties on the x-axis stroke is limited/self-test fails.
I know this documentation is really cluttered and confusing, once I iron everything out and fully vet the designs I'll remove the work in progress tag and clean everything up
NEW AS OF 3/7/2018
Added in version with RPI3 case incorporated into a mostly-stock Einsy mount.
I've been going through some iterations with adding the cable chains from SoundDoc's awesome design (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2311596) along with sodamaexchen's remix for the x-axis (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2731943). All credit for the concept and starting point goes out to these two.
I had issues getting everything to fit, especially the z-axis cable chain, so I made a new Einsy mount with cable chain attachments built-in. Everything clips together nicely without additional pieces to be attached to the Einsy mount.
NOTE: This is still a work in progress. My planned revisions include:
- POSSIBLE: Incorporate new Raspberry Pi Zero W access hatch
Please let me know if you have any issues or any ideas to improve this design.
SEE REVISIONS AT END OF PAGE FOR FULL UPDATES TO DESIGN
.15 for chain links and clips, .20 for everything else
Mostly 20-30%. Cable links and clips at 100%
I've only tested the print using eSUN PETG.
- Nozzle 240 (all layers) and bed 90 (all layers) for all parts
- Supports on:
- No supports on remaining parts
PLEASE NOTE: I have only gotten a chance to print out and test the scaled chain links. I haven't printed the remaining parts (einsy-cable-chain-ALL-AXIS-V02.STL & z-chain-motor-mount_v01.STL) and tested yet. I don't see how there would be any issues though.
BOM All Axis:
From this page:
NOTE: Standard version only parts in italics, RPi3 version only parts in BOLD, shared parts normal
- einsy-cable-chain-ALL-AXIS-R02.STL (x1)
- heatbed-mount-top-R01.STL (x1)
- heatbed-mount-bottom-R01.STL (x1)
- z-chain-motor-mount_R01.STL (x1)
- heatbed-chainmount-link-R01.STL (x1)
- z-axis-link_R01.SLDPRT.STL (xTBD)
- x-axis_cable_extendomatic_bothparts_R01.stl (x1, added 3/14/18)
- RPI3_ADDON_einsy-mount-cable-chain_R01.STL (x1)
- RPI3_ADDON_case_R01.STL (x1)
- RPI3_ADDON_pi-case-hinge-2_R01.STL (x2)
- RPI3_ADDON_pi-case-hinge_R01.STL (x2)
From SoundDoc (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2311596)
- 38x TOTAL Chain_link_ear_V2 (I printed the ear version, 100% infill with PETG)
- 23x for x-axis
- 15x for y-axis
- Additional Hardware (for RPi3 addon only)
- M2 x 6 or 8mm SHCS (x4)
- M2 nuts (x4)
I converted the STL's from Prusa fully into Solidworks 2017 so they are editable and easier to add the design changes.
I'm working my way through all of the parts and making the entire MK3 assembly in the parametric SW format.
The assembly is about as straightforward as you can get.
- Use the stock hardware for all of the parts other than the z-chain-motor-mount_v01 needing a M3x18mm bolt from the spare bag
- X-axis and Y-axis cables route the same as SoundDoc's design
- Leave the filament in these chains, cut to necessary length
- Use the heatbed-chainmount-link-v01 to attach the y-axis chain to the heatbed mount assembly
- Z-axis motor cable goes through top of Einsy mount now (see picture)
- Add a 1.75mm to this chain
- The scaled z-axis is NOT TESTED
Full picture, I may have too many links in the z-axis.
- R.01: Release
- R.02: Added STEP files of Version V.01
R.03: Modified z-axis to use 0.75 scaled links to get rid of the misalignment in the y-direction. Also made a modified z-chain motor mount based on SoundDoc's design. Updated and uploaded parts:
Also forgot to add the special chain link needed for the heatbed mount in the original
release. It is now included:
- Changed all V's to R's in part file names (I was confusing myself). V01==R01, etc, ect.
Added 75% scaled chain link to for the z-axis. No longer need to scale in your slicer
Add a version that includes an RPi3 case and a modified Einsy mount to support it. In the process of printing this. Will update if needed. Parts include:
R05 Added a combination of a remixed version of sodamaexchen's cable holder and a remixed version of jltx's X carriage back with belt access to give:
- R06 Updated the design of the "extendomatic" with a cover to fully capture the extruder carriage wiring. Also corrected bolt hole misalignment and updated the pictures.