I was recently browsing Thingiverse for a fun project when I stumbled on the Rubberband Rocket by tecdroid. I was inspired by it and spent a day or so rebuilding this from the ground up.
The original idea belongs to tecdroid and so even though I never downloaded or used his model I thought it was appropriate to post this as a remix.
I have also uploaded the art if you want to print your own stickers for the model.
Cheers, and thank you tecdroid.
I recommend printing this with a dense infill, there can be significant stress put on the parts depending on your rubber bands.
PLEASE NOTE: I also highly recommend printing the locking pins and threaded handle horizontally. This will ensure extra strength in those parts. DO NOT use supports for the locking pins or it will fill in the threaded receiver.
I've heard that the tolerances on the locking pins and launch pad top were a little tight, so I have posted a new launch pad top with a bit more room.
If you have an old one you can lightly sand the pins or the hole they slide through. That should solve the problem or you can download the launch pad top again.
I used two average sized rubber bands to hold the rocket together.
Because the bands were a little big I put one coiled twist in each of them to shrink the size by 50% and double the power.
Just reach up into the nose cone and put the bands over the hooks. be sure not to cross sides when attaching to the tail section hooks or it will interfere with the launch rod.
Finally, I tapped out the launcher pems and used 4/40 screws to hold the base together but I guess hot glue could work too.
All you need now is to just place a new pencil in the hole in the launcher and you are ready to go.
I used a yellow crayola pencil with some black electrical tape for deco on the rod.