Notice: Please wear safety goggles while tightening and tuning for the first time, or do not hold the violin up by your face. While I personally haven't encountered problems, we all know 3D printed parts are not 100% reliable. Even though probably nothing will happen, if something does, you'll wish you had taken precaution.
Hear it here
Read about its construction and material analysis here
The scale between these files and their originals is 18500%
"(Hole Variation)" files are designed by jonnieZG who wanted a removable end-pin. It is up to your personal preference which method you use.
I've turned off the "work in progress" since everything I can think of is done, but I still might make minor changes. I'll have a longer video in a few months going into more depth about the violin. Maybe I'll make improvements to this a summer project.
Added a sound-post and bass-board. Used real strings. Bridge was thickened and shrunk to accommodate the neck height. Tail Piece needs thickening. Other pieces have been modified to accommodate stresses or proportions.
Used roughly 1.5 kg of plastic, although I don't know the total weight. Some parts like the sound-post and bridge may need scaling in one direction depending on how your violin turns out. I wish things could be more exact and repeatable, but this isn't a perfect violin.
Maker Geeks PLA
20% (Less is better. Less mass = Less interia = less dampening = better sound)
I would guess that softer plastics like ABS would cause more sound dampening. A lighter and stiffer a material is, it is likely to sound better. Although less material is better, violins are under 50-80 lbs of stress from the strings, so it's a tough trade-off.
I print my PLA at 230 C.
Took about 3 days worth of print time, and 1 full day to assemble.
If you can, print the body-plates vertically. The current orientation is stronger, but also is worse for vibration.
I put pieces into position with super-glue and clamps, then welded parts together with a soldering iron for stronger bonds. Beware of toxic gases when burning super-glue, it will burn your eyes and lungs. Use a respirator and sealed goggles. Tuning pegs were drilled to put the string through. I need to go see what size I used, and approximately where to drill. If you look up pictures online, you can get a pretty good rough guess.
The tail piece has a hole drilled through it and uses a copper wire to stay on the nipple.