This project takes labala's excellent 6th axis rotory joint for the moveo robot and allows it to be adapted to an Openbuilds 5mm universal mounting hub (http://openbuildspartstore.com/mounting-hub-5mm/). It also includes an adaptor plate to utilize the stock Moveo gripper until you can make a better one.
1 Openbuilds 5MM universal mounting hub
4 M5 10mm bolts
4 m3 heat set inserts (mcmaster carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#94180a331/=1axdlb8)
8 M3 nuts
8 8mm M3 bolts
4 10mm M3 bolts
4 8mm dia, 3mm wide 3mm dia hole bearings (MR83)
1 Moveo gripper kit and associated hardware
- Print the part face down (does not require support). After printing, use a 5mm drill or a reamer tool to remove the 1mm thick hole covering material in the M5 bolt recesses.
- Insert the MR83 3x8x3 bearings into their slots, and drop in 4 m3 nuts. They should go in with minimal resistance. Secure the bearings with the 4 M3 10mm bolts. Ensure the bearings still turn freely, adjust as needed.
- Install the openbuilds universal mounting hub on the end of the motor that will drive the 6th axis and test fit the 6th axis so the bearings ride on the face of the 5th axis housing properly to provide support. Secure the universal mounting hub using the set screws from the side then secure the 6th axis to it using the 4 M5 bolts from the front of the 6th axis. they thread into the universal mounting hub. They should be as close to flush with the surface of axis 6 as possible.
- insert the 4 heat set inserts into the 3d printed adaptor plate and let cool.
- Place 4 M3 nuts into the bottom of the 6th axis in 4 of the mounting holes that will line up with the adaptor plate. Use 4 m3 8mm bolts to secure the adaptor plate to the 6th axis
- Use 4 M3 8mm bolts to screw the Moveo gripper to the adaptor plate.
This should work with most of the other 5th axis bodies out there, as well as any other application where you need a supported rotating platform with hardpoints attached to a 5mm shaft.
0.5Mm nozzle 0.35mm layers
I printed this unit in ABS, but PLA or other material would work just as well here.