Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Fix3r

Geeetech GT2560 A+ Case

by Fix3r Sep 28, 2017
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Hi, I have been looking at doing something similar for mine too. To improve cooling but also improve on the cable management as the cable mess just jars for me.
I was thing of something like your enclosure but laying it down horizontal and fixing it the the geetech side acrylic plate to accommodate the PSU cable. Can you tell me what the dimensions are H x W x D?

I think you mounted this upside down.
By far the most heat generated on this board comes from the Mosfets that drive the heated bed, and the print head/s.
Therefore, since heat rises, to prevent these devices cooking the rest of the board, I would make sure that they are near the top, and preferably close to an unobscured grill
Also make absolutely certain that no cabling can possibly come into physical contacts with these devices (hot,hot,HOT)
I speak from expensive experience :@)

It's mounted the correct way round... Well I say correct as in the way it was designed to be fitted from Geeetech! I did think about inverting the control board when fitting the case but unfortunately there wasn't enough length on the power cable coming from the psu!
And I didn't really want to make up a new power lead .
The fans are now located directly over the stepper drivers and mosfets respectively and as the case is pretty much sealed it does now create a forced air flow over these. The original open mounting of the board and really poor factory location of the fan meant there was no force air reaching the mosfets at all, they were nothing more than passively cooled at best.

Totally agree keeping cables away from those mosfets is a must. I have pretty chunky builders hands and it was very fiddly trying to get all the cables in there neat and tidy! Ideally I would have liked to have got all the cables over to the tidy area but I had to settle for tied up out of the way! The vents in the bottom and top panels were not really necessary as the rear has more than enough mm3 of ventilation for the 2x 40mm fans!
I ditched the sd ribbon (mainly because i only run tethered) I was also going to loose the LCD ribbon as I've never looked at that since I built it but the Mrs made me keep it as she looks at the eta display!

There is definitely some room for improvement on the design, but from what it was it has made a significant and noticeable improvement as my hot end suddenly stopped making momentary pauses mid print after fitting the case