Going on a long trip and need something to do?
Does your New 3DS XL run out of battery before you're done using it?
Need a place to store a few games?
This is your solution!
This travel case will hold one New 3DS XL, one charger, five extra games, and a small item such as earbuds. Easy to print and easy to assemble! Download yours today!
A variety of options are available:
- Lock loops - for extra security, close your case tight with a padlock
- Text - dual extruded or not, it adds some nice aesthetics
- Handles - or not, if you would rather save space and filament
- Game cartridge covers - also with or without text!
All credit goes to Nintendo for the creation of the New 3DS XL, the 3DS charger, and the 3DS game cartridges. All credit goes to nipcen for the creation of the 8bitoperator JVE font I used.
Update: New EU Charger Bases
These new base design options should fit an EU charger instead of a North American one. Unfortunately, due to the larger size of the EU charger, the small item pocket is gone in this version. Note that the EU bases are currently in beta - I do not own an EU charger, so I can't check how it fits in the case.
Filament: Quantum3D PLA
Extruder Temperature: 230⁰ C
Heated Bed Temperature: 60⁰ C
Support Resolution: 2mm
Support Max Overhang Angle: 60⁰
Adhesion: Blue Tape and Glue Sticks
Almost any settings and materials should work, these are just the ones I used. I've included everything I can think of in case anyone needs to troubleshoot printing problems. Nothing should need to be scaled to compensate for tight parts, everything should fit fine as is. The hinge rod does not have to be printed: any 1/2" x 5" rod should work fine.
All parts of this case were designed by myself in Autodesk Fusion 360 with the exception of the 11mm ISO Metric threads and the 8bitoperator JVE font: those came from Fusion 360's threading tool and fonts2u.com, respectively.
Update: Special thanks to yeyizo for testing and providing the measurements for the European version!
Overall, the design process took me about two months with significant breaks. I used measurements I took myself of my New 3DS XL, game cartridges, and charger for the first version, and most parts worked in their first versions. Many edits were simply to save print time and material, and most problems I had were very minor and fixed easily: the game cartridge slots were too tight, the wrong measurements were used for the charger, etc. However, the most major problems I had were with the locks. Even after many problems, I wanted to stick with the rotational style I used to avoid any printing complications which might arise from using a more traditional latch style. Initially, I used a constant radius hexagonal bolt that was much too small for the holes it was meant to fit into, and no bumps on the knobs for them to "click" into and out of place. This caused two major problems: first, the user had to overshoot their selection by about 20⁰ to ensure success; second, the locks tended to jiggle when shaken and - due to low friction from the small contact points between the bolts and the case and the location of the lock component's center of mass in relation to its axis of rotation - unlock themselves even when just left sitting for an extended period of time. To fix this, I used the variable radius and shape bolts found in the final version of this case and adjusted the sizes of the holes they were meant to fit into accordingly. However, the friction was still low enough for the locks to open on their own when left sitting for a while. Thus, I added the bumps to the exterior of the case and corresponding divots in the knobs to provide the "click" present in the final version. However, the locks ended up being too tight to move over the bumps, rendering the locks immovable! Then, I added an extra 0.5mm of space between the knobs and the case and the circular groove between the divots, arriving at the final version of the locks. Thus, even with extensive experience with CAD and 3D printing, trial and error is still a necessity for the best possible end product and should never be shied away from.
In the future, I may design more tops with different designs and maybe larger cases meant to hold additional accessories. These will likely not fit on a FlashForge Creator Pro's build plate, but I will post links to them here. Let me know in the comments if you have any suggestions!
The handles and hinge plugs should friction fit without any problems, but cyanoacrylate glue can be added for extra strength. Do not glue the hinge rod in place. It must be loose for the case to open and close properly. Only glue the plugs if you feel it is necessary.
Before assembling the locks, wear in the nuts and bolts until the nuts can easily be screwed on all the way. If there is any difficulty, it will be extremely difficult to assemble the locks correctly without cosmetically damaging the nuts. Don't worry about making the fit too loose: the nuts rotate with the rest of the lock, so they should not come off under normal operation.
To unlock the box, rotate the left lock knob 90⁰ counter-clockwise and the right lock knob 90⁰ clockwise. To lock it, do the opposite.
The game cartridge cover should friction fit loosely.
If the locks somehow break in a way where they hold the case closed and you did not glue the hinge plugs in place, the hinge rod can be removed by pushing it out with a long object and the extra leverage gained by grabbing the hinges can help you break the locks.
Over time, the bumps on the case which provide the "click" when the case is locked or unlocked may wear down. This is normal: just rinse off the dust and enjoy the smoother motion. The "click" should remain even after extensive use.