I loved the look of the SPANNERHANDS Spool System enclosed spool-holder, but wanted something with an adjustable / universal hub to fit all of the different brands of filament I am playing with. I designed and printed this to fit the large 1kg spool box and use the ubiquitous 608 bearings. The cone fits spools with a hub diameter between 24mm and 60mm. The width of spool that will fit inside the enclosure varies with hub diameter, from about 83mm with a 60mm hub down to around 47mm for a 24mm hub.
- Two prints of the Cone Hub
- Two prints of the Bearing Holder
- 100 mm length of M8 threaded rod
- Two 608 bearings
- 5 M8 thin nuts
- Place a drop of superglue on the outside edge of each bearing and press them into the bearing holders.
- Place a drop of superglue on the outside edge of 4 of the nuts and press them into the four recesses in the cone hubs.
- Thread the last nut onto the rod with enough protruding to fully seat in the bearing. Thread one of the cones against this nut and use it to jam lock that cone in place.
- Place spool against first cone.
- Thread on second cone and adjust to hand tight.
- Place one bearing on each end of threaded rod and drop into spool holder.
Update: I added a magnetic version of the bearing shim that makes it a little easier to get everything into the box. You'd need two 8mm diameter x 2mm thick disk magnets to glue into the little inset.
Settings are not critical. No supports are needed and required cleanup should be minimal around the bottom nut recesses.