The nozzle cooler is designed for delta printers with E3D V6 hotends and offers improved cooling from all sides, preventing uneven cooldown of the printed layers. I designed it specifically for my Kossel Pro with a BL Touch autoleveling probe, but it should work for any printer with the specified hotend or similar ones.
This version works with 40x40 mm axial fans and it is an adaptation of the original design, meant for 50x50 radial fans:
The radius of the cooling pipe lets enoguh space between the 3D printed part and the heating block. However, I recommend that you insulate your heating block with fireproof insulation (you can find it in any 3D printer store or online) for 3 reasons:
- To avoid the pipe getting heat deformations
- To avoid cooling down the hotend and destabilizing the temperature PID controller
- To avoid heating up the cooling air
The design uses 2 fans:
- 30x30 mm axial fan for the hotend radiator (to prevent filament upflow)
- 40x40 axial fan for print cooling.
The 30x30 axial fan is the one that was delivered with the printer. The 40x40 mm print cooling fan provides less pressure compared to radial fans, reason for which I included a cooling pipe version with bigger vent holes. Both are placed compact arround the hotend to balance it out and to avoid interfering with the delta rods.
This adaptation was suggested by a fellow maker, so if you think of any other improvement potential, please let me know :)
The cooling assembly has 2 parts:
- Print cooling pipe and 40x40 fan holder (I included a version with no holes too, if you want to change the hole pattern and orientation / Version with big vent holes for weaker fans)
- Radiator fan holder
I designed them as two separate parts to be easier to print without suports. They are mounted together with a 2.5x10 mm wood screw, on one side, and a dove-tail connection on the other side.
For the mounting, you will need:
- 1 * 2.5x10 mm wood screw (or similar) - to mount the two parts together
- 2-4 * M3x 15 mm screws - to mount the radiator fan
- insulate your heating block
- clip in the radiator fan holder
- come from the bottom with the cooling pipe, align the dove-tail connection, and screw it to the radiator fan holder
- mount the 40x40 fan into position
- mount the axial fan to the radiator fan holder
- adjust your PID (if necessary)
- enjoy your improved cooling