Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
fASE-2

NEMA17 Bowden Extruder M6 1.75mm

by fASE-2 Jun 4, 2017
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Thank you for this thing! Thumbs up to you!

  • Posted with 3D Geeks Thingiverse Browser App

Hello, could you maybe publisch a .iges file?
I would like to remix the fitting since i have the larger diameter ones.
Thanks!

tell me the thread size and i'll change the drill hole for the bowden cable. i can only provide the blender file if you want. i don't work w/ IGES and i don't think it'll convert properly.

Hi,
thank you for the fast reply!
I checked and blender only gives meshes but no solids. Also i think IGES/Step cannot be exported with blender. Anyway i will try and do it myself. Because i think that part of the filament path which is unsupported could lead to flexibles doing wierd things. That is why i would not use a hole but rather an "elongated hole" (in the tensioner part) so that the teflon tube can reach to the extruder gear.
Otherwise i like the design, simple effective and no lever.

im redesigning this thing for a belted extruder (using a similar sliding tension block). if you make the current one, the layers MUST be 0.3mm or the tension block won't slide properly. also the M4 bolt hole is too round... you're gonna have to tilt the drill bit to elongate it to allow the bolt's head to pass through the bottom/top. i'm addressing all these issues and a belted 20T to 60T extruder should be released once i finish standardizing the tension block between the two designs.

I did make the current one with a .3mm nozzle and a .2mm layer height and the parts came out usable (sliding fine). But i redesigned the parts anyway. The body now has a mounting adapter and i used a different idler bearing since i do not have the required U bearing. I also changed the tightening mechanism since on strong spring pressure i found the screw would start to rotate and further tightening of the spring was impossible. If you want i can post a picture to show you the changes i have made.
Personally i am no fan of belted designs due to their increased complexity. For me i have found non belted bowden designs work perfectly well if they are designed correct.
The reason i switched to your design is that i had a lever design before and the problem there was that due to heat of the motor in combination with spring pressure the main body would start warping and so the extruder would loose lever pressure ultimately leading to failed prints.

yes, a round screw head would definitely rotate upon tightening... that's why the instructions require a HEX BOLT to prevent rotation.

i'm glad you built it. i'd love to see your design or even post a remix on thingiverse if you want. the only issue i've encountered was the hole on the tension block requiring a 'taller' hole to get the hex bolt in. i just angled my drill bit to remedy that problem, but forgot to revise the STL. also, the tension block sides might require some very slight sanding to make it glide better. the belted version of this thing should be completed soon.

Of course that makes sense!
That was no fault of the original version of yours - which works fine, that was the first iteration of my design, since i do not have a hex bolt in that size nor any other size for that matter so i had to take a different route which resulted in the beforementioned issue.
Attached are some pictures of the assembly, the tension block and the mounting mechanism. The mounted extruder is actually the first version which has the problem with the turning screw and some other things that i changed in the second version. That one is shown not mounted on the wooden background.
To reiterate, your version works perfectly fine - the issues i encountered were caused by my own design and lack of parts.
EDIT: I may post a remix but first i want to make sure that this design holds up for at least 100h of printing.
Also with the print settings i mentioned before i had no issues with the sliding mechanism. It fitted nice and snug and did not bind - i also like that design feature! The tolerances are perfect.

very cool. thanks for sharing.