This robot is obsolete, see the update version here.
Thing:1265766 is a cute robot. We remix it with our design thing:1912377 hopefully to be a neat and simple design. It is an implementation using Arduino board and cheap tower pro 9g servo. Thus, it is relatively inexpensive to make one,. With more details of guiding (see the assembling video at below), we believe it is much easier for people to make one.
1) GSTduino with on-board SPP-C-Bluetooth-UART board.
2a) a 3.7V lithium-polymer battery with XH2.54 connector, size W35mm, T40mm & L70mm, 1200mAh (see below photo as an example) or any dimension smaller.
2b) or 3.7V 18650 battery pack with XH2.54 connector, 3000mAh
2c) to charge the battery find our another design
3) 8 x Tower Pro 9g servo.
4) a 117s on/off switch
5) a SPP-C Bluetooth UART or equivalent for Andriod phone control. Baud rate sets to 115200. You don't need to buy separately if you use item 1.
We use GSTduino board here as it integrates everything on a single PCB. So It's a lot easier for people to make this bot. If you use other Arduino board such as nano, likely you will need a I/O shield for connecting servos. If you are experienced maker, of cause you can use a proto board to customized one. The body of robot is the chamber which can hold lithium-polymer battery. You may have to look after the power regulator too.
1) Dupoint wires
2) Some M2x6 tapping screws
1) Arduino code on githup
2) Android app on Google Play.
Arduino sketchup loading example:
These software will work on our another design thing:1912377. Perhaps you will be interested to build it too.
Connection to digital pins of Arduino are as following -
1) D2 to front right hip servo
2) D3 to front right leg servo
3) D4 to back right hip servo
4) D5 to back right leg servo
5) D6 to back left hip servo
6) D7 to back left leg servo
7) D8 to front left hip servo
8) D9 to front left leg
9) D12 for setup mode (see the assemble video)
10) Bluetooth UART module to the board's Bluetooth connector
Battery charging with charger dock (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2398439) we design.
How to play:
When the robot is power on, it is in autonomous mode. In this mode, walking direction and pattern is randomly changed in every 8 sec.
It can be controlled by the Android phone with the Bluetooth UART module. To control by the App, firstly pair the Bluetooth UART with your Android phone and tap setting menu of app to select it. After bluetooth connection is ready, sliding the bottom scroll bar to value bigger than 50. About two seconds, the robot is in control mode. You can tap the arrow buttons to control the robot walking.