I designed this universal joint from scratch, with the idea to use it in the shoulder / hip joints of a robot dog I´m working on. (I hope I upload that soon too).
My main motivation was to get a universal joint with two DoF in one place, since that is what we mammals have in out shoulders and hip.
You'll see the design steps I wen though to get to were I am now. It is designed to fit the Tower Pro 9g micro servos
I know the print quality is not the best, sorry for that. The parts were printed with a cheap plastic (that looks like never ends!)
I'll upload new pictures as soon as I print with another (better) PLA.
To assemble this Servo based universal joint you should follow this steps:
- Get two servo horns and cut them to fit into the core of the joint.
- Attach the cut servo horns to the core using the servo screws (you'll need to make the hole a little bigger, but that can be done just screwing the screw)
- Place the core into the first arch
- Put the first servo into its place in the first arch
- screw the servo horn into the servo, through the opossit hole in the core
- Do that same thing (steps 3 to 5) with the second arch and servo