This is an alternative version of Jennifer Schachter's Laser Cut Maker Puzzle, built with Adam Savage for Tested.com's SXSW 2017 Scavenger Hunt. Details and original engraving/cutting/assembly tips at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2240542.
This is VERY MUCH a work in progress aiming to make the puzzle easier to engrave and cut on the laser cutter at the Johnson County Library MakerSpace, or any laser cutter that can process color-mapped designs.
I've tested some of the files on our laser cutters with chipboard and so far everything looks good! I'll keep testing the designs and let you know what I find - but you do your testing know and let me know how it turns out for you!
I used the following color-mapping settings:
- raster engrave (blue) - Speed 100 Power 50 Frequency 500
- vector engrave (green) - Speed 100 Power 3 Frequency 500
- vector cut (red) - Speed 100 Power 70 Frequency 500
It's time for another round of files!
- all vector engrave lines and cutting lines resized to 0.001" lines for hairlines in Corel Draw
- added .emf files for importing into Corel Draw
- distributed each layer of the puzzle pieces on separate layers
- switched to vector engraves where relevant